Skip to main content

Space Wolves and air brushing

Last weekend I played in a 40k tournament with my Space Wolves.

I wanted to do well so I built just about the nastiest army that I could. I spent the better part of a week prepping my models and gluing together the components that I would need for the tourney. I made things harder on myself by choosing to re-paint my army.

I've always wanted an air brush so I could mimic some of the better paint jobs I've seen on the web. After looking at a lot of other well-painted models, I found a really cool army that used a much darker shade of gray than most Space Wolf armies used. My army had actually been a much lighter shade of gray and I thought an air brush would be the ticket to getting an army done fast.

After some research, I found that air brush compressors for hobbyists are expensive. The most basic models appeared to start at $150 and quickly skyrocketed from there. I did some more digging and found that there are other kinds of air brushes offered, not to hobbyists but to cake decorators and nail salons. These air brushes came with complete kits and started around $45. Not only did you get a low-end compressor, but a dual-action brush as well... Now, some of these compressors were in the shape of hearts or were colored pink, but it was the same piece of equipment sold to masculine hobbyists, but marketed to a completely different audience. I imagine that the air brush manufacturers had done a lot of market research and found the maximum price point that each type of painter would pay and adjusted their prices accordingly. Kind of like the shoe industry, but I digress.

I looked around town at the hobby stores along with some online shopping and found a nice silver compressor with a dual-action brush for less than $60. Shipping took a lot longer than I expected but it arrived on Wednesday and gave me three days to re-paint my army...

After running home to paint models over my lunch hour and hurriedly in the evenings when I wasn't with Kristin, I got about a quarter of my army re-colored and re-glued to their bases. It was a lot less than I wanted but I would be able to get my army on the table for the 5th Edition send-off tournament.

We had a fairly good turnout for the event with lots of our regular players and few new faces showing up as well. My first opponent was Jason P. and his Crimson Fist Space Marines. He doesn't play very often and certainly isn't a cutthroat player so my tooled-up list probably wasn't much fun for him to face. Despite all of my dirty tricks, we had a good time though and I walked away with a very solid victory.

I played Jason F. and his Tyranids next. His list gave me some more problems but my wolves were able to pick apart his bugs and my dice were giving me average rolls so I scored another solid victory.

In the championship round I faced Marshall, another Wolf player who usually wins most of our tourneys. I made a critical error and placed one of my "tricksy" units poorly early in the game which disrupted my game plan. Then I had a turn of really bad dice and lost my scouting unit when I should have mathematically won the battle; but that's why we roll the dice. I made a pretty good run in the last few turns, but Marshall outplayed me and I lost the game. Because of the scoring system, I actually placed third but I was quite happy with the turnout.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ork Mekboy Conversion

My Stompa needs a Mekboy to follow it around, so I made this simple conversion from my bits box. Since the GW model is out of stock,  I could only find a mek boy for $60 on eBay and this hobby is expensive enough. Besides, I think he looks cooler than the GW stock model, but let me know what you think!  #warhammercommunity #orks40k #orks #28mm #Warhammer40k #waaagh #dakka #conversion

Goblin Hobbies Stamping Kit First Attempt

I recently purchased the Goblin Hobbies Stampin' Kit after seeing the ads and how-to videos online. Brent from Goobertown Hobbies made it look super easy and I thought this could be the answer to painting clean Lamenters shoulder pads and eliminating the need for decals on other models. When the kit arrived, I gleefully started stamping some paper napkins in my kitchen. My early stamps weren't that great, but it was on paper and I was recklessly splogging nail polish everywhere so I wasn't worried about neatness or finesse or my success. After watching a few more tutorials and some nail art tutorials, I made some earnest attempts to make some new battleshock counters for my Blood Angels. This is how it went.  As you can see, I didn't get the same awesome results as the showcase videos. I fiddled sounds for about an hour until the acetone fumes got to me, and despite my best efforts, I wasn't getting clean prints, even on these flat wooden counters.  Obviously, I str...

Warhammer 40k Army Theme Songs

Ever since I was a wee lad first dipping my toes into miniature wargaming, I've always "sung along" while I played. While some players jiggle their dice, some pull their tape measure out and let it drop back in, but I've always had background music in my head and I tunelessly hum songs that match the armies on the table to the current events.  I'm also a big baseball fan and my friends and I would discuss our "walkup music" - the song that gets played over the stadium when you walk up to bat. Wrestlers have it. Comedians have it. James Bond has it. Why not Warhammer 40k? Here are a few of my ideas: Sons of Horus: Paint it Black - Rolling Stones Emperor's Children - Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson Iron Warriors: Ironman - Black Sabbath Thousand Sons: I Fought the Law - the Clash Nightlords: Thunderstuck AC/DC World Eaters: Freak on a Leash - Korn Word Bearers: Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Marines Death Guard: Zombie - the Cranberries Alpha...