Skip to main content

Bolt Action Web Sites

There are a handful useful Bolt Action Web sites out there, but here are a couple I enjoy reading.

First is the the Demo Gamers. They have an infectious way of writing battle reports and blog entries that makes me want to play more and write more about my games.

Another useful site is boltaction.easyarmy.com There you can build just about any Bolt Action army list you need to play a game. It uses simple check boxes to generate an army list, with all of the options so don't have to do any math, and it creates an easy to read army list. I haven't tried it on my phone yet, but that would be super handy for casual play and pick up games (not that Bolt Action lists are difficult to assemble.)


Even though my army was not painted, I couldn't wait any longer to play with my early war Brits so my buddy Russ and I duked it out on the field of battle this past weekend.

As you can see in the picture, I used the cool battle mat from Frontline Gaming to cover our 6x4 table and added a bunch of yet-to-be-painted houses and buildings from Plasticville to set the scene.




We played two quick 500 point games and I had hot dice in both games. Unfortunately for Russ, I also had great draws from the bag when it came to unit selection.

I won't go into great detail, but I won both games. In both instances, my regular infantry had a hard time wounding Russ's veteran Germans, but with enough pin markers, even the best troops have a hard time passing leadership tests and I kept the German advance in check.

My MVP would go to either my FOO or my Bren carrier with two Bren LMGs. When my FOO called in the artillery, I caused lots of casualties and added 6 pin markers in both games (hot dice.) The Bren carrier also hit quite often, adding pin markers all over the field to keep the Germans from doing much. I also fielded a mortar, probably for the last time. Neither of us had much luck with them and they seem to be a waste of points.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ork Mekboy Conversion

My Stompa needs a Mekboy to follow it around, so I made this simple conversion from my bits box. Since the GW model is out of stock,  I could only find a mek boy for $60 on eBay and this hobby is expensive enough. Besides, I think he looks cooler than the GW stock model, but let me know what you think!  #warhammercommunity #orks40k #orks #28mm #Warhammer40k #waaagh #dakka #conversion

Goblin Hobbies Stamping Kit First Attempt

I recently purchased the Goblin Hobbies Stampin' Kit after seeing the ads and how-to videos online. Brent from Goobertown Hobbies made it look super easy and I thought this could be the answer to painting clean Lamenters shoulder pads and eliminating the need for decals on other models. When the kit arrived, I gleefully started stamping some paper napkins in my kitchen. My early stamps weren't that great, but it was on paper and I was recklessly splogging nail polish everywhere so I wasn't worried about neatness or finesse or my success. After watching a few more tutorials and some nail art tutorials, I made some earnest attempts to make some new battleshock counters for my Blood Angels. This is how it went.  As you can see, I didn't get the same awesome results as the showcase videos. I fiddled sounds for about an hour until the acetone fumes got to me, and despite my best efforts, I wasn't getting clean prints, even on these flat wooden counters.  Obviously, I str...

Warhammer 40k Army Theme Songs

Ever since I was a wee lad first dipping my toes into miniature wargaming, I've always "sung along" while I played. While some players jiggle their dice, some pull their tape measure out and let it drop back in, but I've always had background music in my head and I tunelessly hum songs that match the armies on the table to the current events.  I'm also a big baseball fan and my friends and I would discuss our "walkup music" - the song that gets played over the stadium when you walk up to bat. Wrestlers have it. Comedians have it. James Bond has it. Why not Warhammer 40k? Here are a few of my ideas: Sons of Horus: Paint it Black - Rolling Stones Emperor's Children - Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson Iron Warriors: Ironman - Black Sabbath Thousand Sons: I Fought the Law - the Clash Nightlords: Thunderstuck AC/DC World Eaters: Freak on a Leash - Korn Word Bearers: Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Marines Death Guard: Zombie - the Cranberries Alpha...