Skip to main content

Have 40k, Will Travel

Later this summer I'll be traveling to Austin, Texas for the 2015 Wargames Con.

This event is now going to be run by the fine folks at Front Line Gaming and is now part of the ITC circuit.

While I would love to travel to more 40k tourney's, it can be a bit pricey. I'm able to go to Texas because I can stay with my sister and cash in my airline mileage point to score free plane tickets for my wife and myself.

However, I'm trying to find a way to make it LVO this November, and perhaps the BAO.



For my army, I think I'll bring my Grey Knights as my primary army. I'm a bit stuck on what I should bring for my allies - because you're not cool if you don't bring a second formation anymore.

The list I've been toying around with in the local 40k League looks something like this:

Librarian
10 Strike Squad - Halberd, Thunder Hammer, Psycannon (usually combat squaded)
10 Strike Squad - Halberd, Thunder Hammer, Psycannon (usually combat squaded)
7 Terminators - Halberd, Thunder Hammer, Psycannon
3 Dreadknights - (or sometimes 2 DKs and a Storm Raven)

I've had fairly good success with this list because I've got enough objective secured models that can boost themselves into monstrous creature killing machines and the Dreadknights can teleport to any "X star" threat my opponent brings and either take it out or tie it up for a long time.

That leaves about 350 points to fill out.

Here's what I'm considering:

1. More Grey Knights!
Make the Termies Paladins and add Drago. This would give me another teleporting unit that can tank almost anything. Almost.

2. Blood Angels
I'd have to fiddle with some of the Grey Knight points, but I'd like to get a couple of BA squads in drop pods to roast scouting units, bikers, or pesky drones. A Librarian Dread and a Furioso in drop pods could be nasty too.

3. White Scars
Honestly, I'd like to take White Scars as my primary army and just run bikes with gravity guns all over the place but I don't think I can get my army painted up in time. A Captain on a bike, with a command squad on bikes sporting storm shields is one of my favorite "stars" and I might be able to get enough painted between now and the tourney to play this concept. I could also bring Drago and add some Dev Centurions to follow in the footsteps of some other power gamers.

4. Imperial Knights
I'm ashamed to say that I have two Imperial Knights still in their boxes... I can probably fudge points to make a three Dreadknight, 2 Imperial Knight army that would be nasty, however, I wouldn't be playing to take objectives, I'd just trying to table my opponent. A single Imperial Knight would be nasty too - and would work great both offensively and defensively.

5. Astra Militarium
Adding AMs or Imperial Guard to my Grey Knight army worked great in the previous league, especially against hoard armies like Orks, but I'm not sure it has enough punch to knock out an army of heavy-weights. The guard to give me access to Hydras, or make taking a defense line feasible, so I can potentially weather the flying Tyrant lists but it just doesn't feel competitive enough in my brainstorming.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ork Mekboy Conversion

My Stompa needs a Mekboy to follow it around, so I made this simple conversion from my bits box. Since the GW model is out of stock,  I could only find a mek boy for $60 on eBay and this hobby is expensive enough. Besides, I think he looks cooler than the GW stock model, but let me know what you think!  #warhammercommunity #orks40k #orks #28mm #Warhammer40k #waaagh #dakka #conversion

Goblin Hobbies Stamping Kit First Attempt

I recently purchased the Goblin Hobbies Stampin' Kit after seeing the ads and how-to videos online. Brent from Goobertown Hobbies made it look super easy and I thought this could be the answer to painting clean Lamenters shoulder pads and eliminating the need for decals on other models. When the kit arrived, I gleefully started stamping some paper napkins in my kitchen. My early stamps weren't that great, but it was on paper and I was recklessly splogging nail polish everywhere so I wasn't worried about neatness or finesse or my success. After watching a few more tutorials and some nail art tutorials, I made some earnest attempts to make some new battleshock counters for my Blood Angels. This is how it went.  As you can see, I didn't get the same awesome results as the showcase videos. I fiddled sounds for about an hour until the acetone fumes got to me, and despite my best efforts, I wasn't getting clean prints, even on these flat wooden counters.  Obviously, I str...

Warhammer 40k Army Theme Songs

Ever since I was a wee lad first dipping my toes into miniature wargaming, I've always "sung along" while I played. While some players jiggle their dice, some pull their tape measure out and let it drop back in, but I've always had background music in my head and I tunelessly hum songs that match the armies on the table to the current events.  I'm also a big baseball fan and my friends and I would discuss our "walkup music" - the song that gets played over the stadium when you walk up to bat. Wrestlers have it. Comedians have it. James Bond has it. Why not Warhammer 40k? Here are a few of my ideas: Sons of Horus: Paint it Black - Rolling Stones Emperor's Children - Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson Iron Warriors: Ironman - Black Sabbath Thousand Sons: I Fought the Law - the Clash Nightlords: Thunderstuck AC/DC World Eaters: Freak on a Leash - Korn Word Bearers: Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Marines Death Guard: Zombie - the Cranberries Alpha...