Skip to main content

On Warhammer Fantasy Battles

Since I went to Austin and played in the 2013 WargamesCon Fantasy tournament, I haven't played a game of Warhammer Fantasy Battles.

It used to be my favorite game.

I had plans to finally paint up my Night Goblin army.

Then, I couldn't find anyone to play.

7th Edition wasn't the most popular edition of Warhammer but it became increasingly hard to find gamers in my area to play and it was even harder to argue that it was a balanced game, or even a good game. The flavor of Warhammer was still at it's core but there were so many rules hangups that favored too few armies that it became a game of asterisks. Oh, we'll you're playing Wood Elves,* you weren't going to win so good job with your loss.

Then came Age of Sigmar.

I want to play a fantasy game but AoS isn't the game. It has a tiny bit of the familiarity of Warhammer Fantasy, but it's a different beast and that's not the kind of beast I want to hitch my wagon. I've purchased the first book and box set and I just can't get into it... It's just too far from the mini game I want to play. I have six Warhammer fantasy armies and I don't want to put any of them on the table under the AoS rules.

What bothers me so much? Don't I want to have fun? Yes, I want to have fun, but I also think a game needs good structure. I don't need a tournament level of structure, but I don't want dancing, mustaches, and wearing hoodies. I want to play war with my dolls and maintain a bit of civility.

While a few people have enjoyed "advancing the story" of Warhammer - myself included - the structure of the Old World is fractured and the flavor of AoS isn't exactly how I wanted things to play out. However, I think I'm most disappointed with the scale of AoS being a skirmish game and not the grand army level of game I enjoyed before. Too few troops, not enough ranks, not enough pawns to be pushed about the board by their commanding toy officers.

You can write me off as an old gamer grumbling about the new game, but I was a big supporter of WHFB when it wasn't a very good game and pushed our local scene with tournaments, leagues and painting contests for more than a decade. Now I don't want to. Is it because I changed or is it because the game changed? I think it's just not the game I want to play.


So, I picked up Kings of War.

I literally bought it tonight after returning home from vacation. It's a bit slimmer than I thought it would be but on first glance, I like what I see. I know you can get the rules online for free, but I one of the things I enjoy about mini gaming is having a rule book. It's one step closer to a video game with having rules on my phone, laptop or tablet- which if fine for a video game- but just not proper for a table top game.

I recently read that one of the Warhammer Fantasy tournament circuits (I'm not a part of this group) has voted to move from 7th Edition to Kings of War instead of AoS. That's quite a recommendation and I look forward to calling up my old Fantasy-playing friends and seeing if they fancy a game.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ork Mekboy Conversion

My Stompa needs a Mekboy to follow it around, so I made this simple conversion from my bits box. Since the GW model is out of stock,  I could only find a mek boy for $60 on eBay and this hobby is expensive enough. Besides, I think he looks cooler than the GW stock model, but let me know what you think!  #warhammercommunity #orks40k #orks #28mm #Warhammer40k #waaagh #dakka #conversion

Goblin Hobbies Stamping Kit First Attempt

I recently purchased the Goblin Hobbies Stampin' Kit after seeing the ads and how-to videos online. Brent from Goobertown Hobbies made it look super easy and I thought this could be the answer to painting clean Lamenters shoulder pads and eliminating the need for decals on other models. When the kit arrived, I gleefully started stamping some paper napkins in my kitchen. My early stamps weren't that great, but it was on paper and I was recklessly splogging nail polish everywhere so I wasn't worried about neatness or finesse or my success. After watching a few more tutorials and some nail art tutorials, I made some earnest attempts to make some new battleshock counters for my Blood Angels. This is how it went.  As you can see, I didn't get the same awesome results as the showcase videos. I fiddled sounds for about an hour until the acetone fumes got to me, and despite my best efforts, I wasn't getting clean prints, even on these flat wooden counters.  Obviously, I str...

Warhammer 40k Army Theme Songs

Ever since I was a wee lad first dipping my toes into miniature wargaming, I've always "sung along" while I played. While some players jiggle their dice, some pull their tape measure out and let it drop back in, but I've always had background music in my head and I tunelessly hum songs that match the armies on the table to the current events.  I'm also a big baseball fan and my friends and I would discuss our "walkup music" - the song that gets played over the stadium when you walk up to bat. Wrestlers have it. Comedians have it. James Bond has it. Why not Warhammer 40k? Here are a few of my ideas: Sons of Horus: Paint it Black - Rolling Stones Emperor's Children - Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson Iron Warriors: Ironman - Black Sabbath Thousand Sons: I Fought the Law - the Clash Nightlords: Thunderstuck AC/DC World Eaters: Freak on a Leash - Korn Word Bearers: Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Marines Death Guard: Zombie - the Cranberries Alpha...