Skip to main content

Warhammer 40k Comic Books

As I've mentioned before, I'm not just a mini wargamer, but I'm an avid comic book fan as well. While I don't write a comic book blog, it feels like I should write a post on miniature-based comic books when I find them.

However, I want to stress that I am not just a comic book fan. I'm a comic book fanatic.

I've made comic books. I've written comic books. I co-own a comic book store. My 5,000+ book collection takes up a second bedroom in my home. I proposed to wife in a comic book. I'm friends with other comic creators. What I'm trying to say here is that I know comics inside and out and I can be quite a comic book snob. 

This is my grain-of-salt warning.

London based Titan Comics has been publishing comic books based on licensed properties like television shows (Doctor Who,) video games (Assassin's Creed,) and other comic properties (2000AD) for almost 40 years. In October, they released the first issue of "Warhammer 40,000: Will of Iron," based on Games Workshop's miniature game,Warhammer 40k.


The story kicks off as high level Dark Angels are mustering to set off to a planetary system that has been cut off from the galaxy due to Chaotic storms but has recently become accessible. A cabal of upper level Dark Angels are afraid that this new access will expose some of the chapters dark secrets. Meanwhile, an Inquisitor also gathers her troops to head off to the same system to uncover those very secrets for herself and presumably use that information to purge the Dark Angles from the Imperium. Also, a group of Iron Warriors heads off to the same system, for what purpose, we do not know.

The story is pretty typical fluff that folds nicely within the confines of the "current" timeline in 40k. Dark Angels, vs Inquisition, vs Chaos. The First Chapter of Space Marines is not one of my favorites and so I'm a little biased when it comes to the choice of protagonists; I'm just not a fan. Despite loving most the of armies of the Terra, I'm also not a fan of the Inquisition. Grey Knights are ok, but the meddling Inquisitors aren't in any of my armies. The Iron Warriors are my second favorite traitor Legion behind Alpha Legion, so I am pleased that there is a faction that I'm interested in reading about. 

Like I mentioned, the plot is pretty standard but I like the element of mystery behind the Dark Angels motivations, presumably trying covering up evidence to the fact that half their legion betrayed the Emperor during the Horus Heresy is a great "broomstick catalyst."

Despite my dislike of the organization, I think the Inquisition are great antagonists. There's nothing more infuriating and frustrating than administration and bureaucracy. In Harry Potter, I thought Deloris Umbridge was a more despicable villain than "he who shall not be named." The smugness and futility that a villain from the "hollier than thou" administration is more relatable than trying to overcome a threat from an antagonist that is only bent on mindless killing.

Unfortunately, the Iron Warriors were just briefly mentioned in the first issue and have little contribution to the story at this point. I'm sure they will become the biggest threat to the Dark Angels and likely will unite the two armies of the Imerium so they can fight a common foe.

Comics based on mini games are a lot like movies based on video games. Typically, they aren't good and while there are a few memorable bits, but it's obviously just a property licensed to explore options for monetization to a fan base that is hungry for more. 

Games Workshop has mastered this process by hooking game fans on the Black Library novels based on the the fluff of the various games and it makes sense that GW continues to publish comics based on their games. While GW comics in the past haven't enjoyed the success that the Horus Heresy novels have brought to 40k, I think the comics are a great addition to fans who want to explore more stories set in their favorite game.

Overall, I'd give Warhammer 40,000: Will of Iron a solid B. The art isn't great but the mystery is intriguing. If your friendly local game store isn't carrying the comics, check out your friendly local comic book store and see if you can find a copy. Each issue has a variety of covers (really just a publishing ploy to sell more books to completists.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ork Mekboy Conversion

My Stompa needs a Mekboy to follow it around, so I made this simple conversion from my bits box. Since the GW model is out of stock,  I could only find a mek boy for $60 on eBay and this hobby is expensive enough. Besides, I think he looks cooler than the GW stock model, but let me know what you think!  #warhammercommunity #orks40k #orks #28mm #Warhammer40k #waaagh #dakka #conversion

Goblin Hobbies Stamping Kit First Attempt

I recently purchased the Goblin Hobbies Stampin' Kit after seeing the ads and how-to videos online. Brent from Goobertown Hobbies made it look super easy and I thought this could be the answer to painting clean Lamenters shoulder pads and eliminating the need for decals on other models. When the kit arrived, I gleefully started stamping some paper napkins in my kitchen. My early stamps weren't that great, but it was on paper and I was recklessly splogging nail polish everywhere so I wasn't worried about neatness or finesse or my success. After watching a few more tutorials and some nail art tutorials, I made some earnest attempts to make some new battleshock counters for my Blood Angels. This is how it went.  As you can see, I didn't get the same awesome results as the showcase videos. I fiddled sounds for about an hour until the acetone fumes got to me, and despite my best efforts, I wasn't getting clean prints, even on these flat wooden counters.  Obviously, I str...

Warhammer 40k Army Theme Songs

Ever since I was a wee lad first dipping my toes into miniature wargaming, I've always "sung along" while I played. While some players jiggle their dice, some pull their tape measure out and let it drop back in, but I've always had background music in my head and I tunelessly hum songs that match the armies on the table to the current events.  I'm also a big baseball fan and my friends and I would discuss our "walkup music" - the song that gets played over the stadium when you walk up to bat. Wrestlers have it. Comedians have it. James Bond has it. Why not Warhammer 40k? Here are a few of my ideas: Sons of Horus: Paint it Black - Rolling Stones Emperor's Children - Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson Iron Warriors: Ironman - Black Sabbath Thousand Sons: I Fought the Law - the Clash Nightlords: Thunderstuck AC/DC World Eaters: Freak on a Leash - Korn Word Bearers: Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Marines Death Guard: Zombie - the Cranberries Alpha...