Skip to main content

Thinking about a new army and building lists on paper.

I've been in a rut at work and haven't had much time to paint or read (or do anything fun) but I did manage work up a nasty army on paper. Army building on paper is a lot like catalog shopping; everything is available and nothing is off limits.

I have read a number of the SN Battle reports with the Raptors and I've always kind of liked them... but the last thing I need is another army. Except, I have all of my Primaris Marines. I planned on making them Salamanders but I haven't given them any brush work yet so I may be painting them a different shade of green. I'm trying to justify this to myself since I like most of the armies in the Badab war, the Raven Guard chapter tactics are amazing, and I'm good with green paint.

I've also thought about painting them as Alpha Legion... but they wouldn't have any Primaris troops unless I concoct a shaggy dog story about Guilliman really being Omegron in disguise and this whole return has been a big ruse.

The Flesh Tearers are also an option, but Aramat - the 5th Legion captain that became company commander of the Flesh Tearers in the second founding - basically told Guilliman to take his Index Astartes and shove it so I doubt that the surviving members would take the new troops into their ranks.

I've also thought about White Scars, but they have terrible rules for the Primaris models currently available. 

Anyway, here's the army I've cooked up introducing the Primaris models into my boys from the 18th Legion (or maybe Raptors.) I'm trying to maximize volume of shots, but giving some punch with the master crafted rules for a smattering of lascannons. The Captain and Lieutenant will hang back and act as a poor man Guilliman for about 200 points less. The Librarian and Sternguard will go for a ride in the Storm Raven and pick on what they can in the enemy lines. As an all-comers list, I think it's ok.

Librarian
Captain
Lieutenant

Redemptor Dreadnougnt - heavy daka version
Redemptor Dreadnought - heavy daka version

5 Sternguard - 2 heavy flamers

5 Tactical Squad - 1 lascannon
5 Tactical Squad - 1 lascannon
5 Tactical Squad - 1 lascannon

3 Razorbacks with twin assault cannons

1 Repulsor Transport - various weapons

Storm Raven gunship - with hurricane bolters

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ork Mekboy Conversion

My Stompa needs a Mekboy to follow it around, so I made this simple conversion from my bits box. Since the GW model is out of stock,  I could only find a mek boy for $60 on eBay and this hobby is expensive enough. Besides, I think he looks cooler than the GW stock model, but let me know what you think!  #warhammercommunity #orks40k #orks #28mm #Warhammer40k #waaagh #dakka #conversion

Goblin Hobbies Stamping Kit First Attempt

I recently purchased the Goblin Hobbies Stampin' Kit after seeing the ads and how-to videos online. Brent from Goobertown Hobbies made it look super easy and I thought this could be the answer to painting clean Lamenters shoulder pads and eliminating the need for decals on other models. When the kit arrived, I gleefully started stamping some paper napkins in my kitchen. My early stamps weren't that great, but it was on paper and I was recklessly splogging nail polish everywhere so I wasn't worried about neatness or finesse or my success. After watching a few more tutorials and some nail art tutorials, I made some earnest attempts to make some new battleshock counters for my Blood Angels. This is how it went.  As you can see, I didn't get the same awesome results as the showcase videos. I fiddled sounds for about an hour until the acetone fumes got to me, and despite my best efforts, I wasn't getting clean prints, even on these flat wooden counters.  Obviously, I str...

Warhammer 40k Army Theme Songs

Ever since I was a wee lad first dipping my toes into miniature wargaming, I've always "sung along" while I played. While some players jiggle their dice, some pull their tape measure out and let it drop back in, but I've always had background music in my head and I tunelessly hum songs that match the armies on the table to the current events.  I'm also a big baseball fan and my friends and I would discuss our "walkup music" - the song that gets played over the stadium when you walk up to bat. Wrestlers have it. Comedians have it. James Bond has it. Why not Warhammer 40k? Here are a few of my ideas: Sons of Horus: Paint it Black - Rolling Stones Emperor's Children - Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson Iron Warriors: Ironman - Black Sabbath Thousand Sons: I Fought the Law - the Clash Nightlords: Thunderstuck AC/DC World Eaters: Freak on a Leash - Korn Word Bearers: Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Marines Death Guard: Zombie - the Cranberries Alpha...