Skip to main content

Las Vegas Open Recap

The last two months have been kind of crazy. I spent a lot of time building, play testing, rebuilding, and painting various armies in preparation for the 40k Championship of the Las Vegas Open.

First, I started off with several iterations of my Salamanders Space Marines. I put together the roaming Aggressor mob backed by an Ancient with banner, Captain, Lieutenant. I also had three devastator squads with heavy bolters and missile launchers for those tasty mortal wounds. I also tried a similar version of the list with Gillymon and Ultramarines but I could never quite get the list to take out the Astra Militarium hoard with Imperial Knights.

I tinkered and tinkered.

I tried Ad Mech, my Khorne rush, and Dark Eldar but I never really felt good about any of the lists so I decided to build an Eldar list similar to one I've seen online. I gave myself about a month to buy, assemble, paint and play test my army. (Note to self: not a good idea.)

Alaitoc
Farseer
3 units of 5 Dark Reapers
12 Guardians
1 Wave Serpent
3 Hemlock Wraithfighters

Saim Hann
3 units of 5 Windriders with scatter lasers
1 Farseer

To complicate things further, I recently switched jobs, had some car trouble, a sick dog, and the main sewer line from my house burst... It seemed like every free moment I had to paint/play was being taken away with more pressing matters. It's a small list but I got it done in time! It's not quite to my usual standard but I was happy with where I ended up.

alaitoc saim hann
My LVO army

My buddy Jim and took off from work and headed to chilly Las Vegas! Seriously, it was cold. It snowed in Vegas. 

gaming room

I went to the LVO two years ago and had a blast and this year was no different. Actually, last time I went, I got food poisoning and was extremely ill but this time I was illness free. I'm not going to break out every game I had, but I'll just post a few highlights.

Round 1 vs. Danny from  Hellstorm Wargaming and his Alpha Legion

Danny and my giant head.

This game was a real hum-dinger! Not only was I playing an international Youtuber, Danny was a ton of fun play. Both of us threw haymakers at each other all game long but he edged me out 28 -27. This had to be one of my favorite games of 40k I've ever played. You can follow Danny's Instagram here:

In the second round, I learned a few lessons. I played a semi-well known Eldar player who took me to task and reminded me that you shouldn't enter a high-level competition with only having played an army for about a month. I had a major case of forgetfullness throughout the game... I don't know what it is about tourneys that gets me so hyped that I forget the basics. I think I'm like a dog who is about to go for a ride in the car. The opponent bounced around from cutthroat to nice (especially when he had the game well in hand) and offered to give me some tips - but it came off as a lecture. I tried to take it but his buddy popped over and they would whisper, point, then giggle about me or my army. It got in my head. Luckily, the rest of my opponents were stellar.

 I faced off against a Ynnari Spirit Host close combat army that understood how buff mobs should work. Plus, he expertly played a Death Jester into my back field that cause a lot of headaches and taught me some lessons about how to use heroic intervention.
eldar craftworld
Ynnari Spirit Host

craftworld eldar
My deployment vs Ynnari.

I also had a lot of fun playing a guy from LA who brought his Genestealer Cult to the battle. This game felt like I was winning, until the last turn when my dice decided to turn sub-zero cold. Jacob and I had great time chatting about 40k, other models like SF3D/Maschinen Krieger, and Japanese Spider-Man. He also works in television (like real shows that people watch) and it was cool to talk shop with him.

las vegas open
Eldar Craftworlds vs Genestealer Cult.

In my last game was against Michael from East Bay(?) playing a mixed Astra Militarium (nay Imperial Guard) army. It was a swell game and my dice were hot - especially when I needed a 6+ spirit stone save. I must have made like 20 rolls... it was unlike my usual dice.

imperial guard las vegas open
Eldar Craftworlds vs Astra Militarium

Sadly, I played like crap most of the tournament. I did not win any of these:

LVO Frontline gaming
Trophies! Not mine.

But I did get to meet B-Bone from Tabletop Tactics! This may be one of my highlights of the trip! Another guy from Topeka got to play him and I was so jealous.

las vegas open
Me and B-Bone!
Vegas has eats. Lots of eats. It is also home to the best bowl of ramen I've ever had. Seriously, my mouth still waters thinking about this bowl of soup.

Chicken Ramen

Despite my failings at the table, the trip to the LVO was amazing. I think I've learned more for this trip that other tournaments I've played in the past. Moving forward, here is my plan for future success: I'm going to dump the Eldar and go back to the armies I know best; Marines, Guard and Ad Mech. I've tried building fluffy lists, and I've tried building single-faction lists but I really think I will play better when I know the codex inside and out and I've already narrowed down my list to two choices.

1. Astra Militarium, Blood Angel Smash Captains, Custodes Dawn Eagle Jetbikes.
2. Mars Ad Mech guns with Stygies close combat troopss backed by a Castellan Knight.

I've got a ton of ideas for paint schemes and conversion bits so come back soon for WIP and modeling pics.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Space Marine Armorium Cherub

Out of all of the horrors in the Warhammer 40k universe, the cherubs creep me out the most... It's one of the most grimdark things in the universe.  #miniaturepainting #paintingwarhammer #grimdark #warhammercommunity #armoriumcherub #spacemarines #astartes #adeptusastartes #new40k

Warhammer 40k Primarch Rumors

There's are a couple of rumors floating around from Games Workshop about new Warhammer 40k rules and models releases; as well as major changes to the fluff. Rumor 1: All of the Primarchs will return, including the dead. Rumor 2: One of the traitor Primarchs will become a loyalist and one of the Imperial loyalists will become a traitor. I got into a discussion with some people on a thread on Spiky Bits' Facebook page about it and here are my theories. The Emperor will briefly return, only to be killed again. Once he finally dies, all of the pysker souls he's been consuming on the golden throne will coalesce and bring all of the dead primarchs back to life. The missing primarachs will rush back to Holy Terra like moths to a flame. Of course, this means both Horus and Sanguinius have returned as well. Horus will see the results of his actions and will repent his wicked ways, blame Ebrus/Logar and the Word Bearers for tricking him into corruption and turn to the sid

RTT Tournament results!

  I played in a small RTT in Holton today and went 2-1, finishing 5th and beat one of the top players in our conference! (I sqeaked by with a 1-point victory...) I may have been able to beat my second opponent if had I made better selections for secondary objectives. In hindsight, I could have easily won but no matter how I plan for games on paper, there's no better teacher than experience.  I'm tuning up my list for the Bugeater Grand Tournament next month in Omaha and I think I'm getting close to my final list. It's not anything really nasty, but it's just solid, durable units. I'm digging it.