Skip to main content

What I'm Watching - Wargaming on Youtube

Whether I'm painting, looking for tutorials, or simply killing time, I find myself on YouTube check out what other gamers and hobbyists are up to. Battle reports are my first choice but I've been watching more and more non gaming content that focuses on other aspects of the hobby.



Darren Latham is shutting down his channel soon and their hasn't been an explanation yet. Rampant speculation is that the GW overlords have asked him to turn it off out of jealousy or a contractual violation ,which makes me sad. Duncan Rhodes left GW at the end of last year and has opened his own painting academy. While Duncan's videos are practically the same as the content he produced while at Games Workshop, he's now free to use whatever model and hobby materials he wishes. It's great content and he has a very nice step-by-step process to follow along with. Darren, while not as polished as a presenter as Duncan, was producing fantastic videos. There's something about the way he explained how to paint that works so well with my process and how I think that I found his "leg painting" videos priceless. Who know if his videos will be kept online or if he'll be forced to take them down, but I'm really disappointed that we are losing Daz. I don't know if his Instagram or Blog will be taken down as well - I hope not. I also hope that GW doesn't waste him.

I recently unsubscribed from Tabletop Tactics. They used to be my favorite channel and put out some of the best battle reports. The regulars on the channel were fun to watch, Bone and Beard especially, however, I feel since they moved and built their new studio (which I contributed to financially) their content has gone way down hill. Their Saga of the Beast video with Bone and Spider was the last straw for me. Practically every edit there was a mistake - they didn't know the rule, the stat, or even the name of the model. At one point in the video, while they were apologizing again for not knowing something, they admitted they play too many armies. It was painful to watch... I guess I thought they were the tops for tactical content and great gamesmanship but it simply wasn't fun to watch, it was hard to follow, and it was sloppy all around so I unsubscribed from both their Youtube and pay channel. I admit, I'll miss Bone and Beard though.



Midwinter Minis may be producing my favorite content online right now. Guy, his girlfriend Penny, and his buddy Ant are putting out very enjoyable painting videos, batreps, and other fun content and their enjoyment of mini gaming is infectious! Their production is top notch and while the gaming videos may only be small-point games and their painting videos don't show any advance techniques, but I just love listening to them. I'm not sure if there's a specific reason I can put my finger on, but their weekly posts are my most anticipated videos I'm currently subscribed to ... except the Bard. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Space Marine Armorium Cherub

Out of all of the horrors in the Warhammer 40k universe, the cherubs creep me out the most... It's one of the most grimdark things in the universe.  #miniaturepainting #paintingwarhammer #grimdark #warhammercommunity #armoriumcherub #spacemarines #astartes #adeptusastartes #new40k

Warhammer 40k Primarch Rumors

There's are a couple of rumors floating around from Games Workshop about new Warhammer 40k rules and models releases; as well as major changes to the fluff. Rumor 1: All of the Primarchs will return, including the dead. Rumor 2: One of the traitor Primarchs will become a loyalist and one of the Imperial loyalists will become a traitor. I got into a discussion with some people on a thread on Spiky Bits' Facebook page about it and here are my theories. The Emperor will briefly return, only to be killed again. Once he finally dies, all of the pysker souls he's been consuming on the golden throne will coalesce and bring all of the dead primarchs back to life. The missing primarachs will rush back to Holy Terra like moths to a flame. Of course, this means both Horus and Sanguinius have returned as well. Horus will see the results of his actions and will repent his wicked ways, blame Ebrus/Logar and the Word Bearers for tricking him into corruption and turn to the sid

RTT Tournament results!

  I played in a small RTT in Holton today and went 2-1, finishing 5th and beat one of the top players in our conference! (I sqeaked by with a 1-point victory...) I may have been able to beat my second opponent if had I made better selections for secondary objectives. In hindsight, I could have easily won but no matter how I plan for games on paper, there's no better teacher than experience.  I'm tuning up my list for the Bugeater Grand Tournament next month in Omaha and I think I'm getting close to my final list. It's not anything really nasty, but it's just solid, durable units. I'm digging it.