Skip to main content

What I'm Watching - Wargaming on Youtube

Whether I'm painting, looking for tutorials, or simply killing time, I find myself on YouTube check out what other gamers and hobbyists are up to. Battle reports are my first choice but I've been watching more and more non gaming content that focuses on other aspects of the hobby.



Darren Latham is shutting down his channel soon and their hasn't been an explanation yet. Rampant speculation is that the GW overlords have asked him to turn it off out of jealousy or a contractual violation ,which makes me sad. Duncan Rhodes left GW at the end of last year and has opened his own painting academy. While Duncan's videos are practically the same as the content he produced while at Games Workshop, he's now free to use whatever model and hobby materials he wishes. It's great content and he has a very nice step-by-step process to follow along with. Darren, while not as polished as a presenter as Duncan, was producing fantastic videos. There's something about the way he explained how to paint that works so well with my process and how I think that I found his "leg painting" videos priceless. Who know if his videos will be kept online or if he'll be forced to take them down, but I'm really disappointed that we are losing Daz. I don't know if his Instagram or Blog will be taken down as well - I hope not. I also hope that GW doesn't waste him.

I recently unsubscribed from Tabletop Tactics. They used to be my favorite channel and put out some of the best battle reports. The regulars on the channel were fun to watch, Bone and Beard especially, however, I feel since they moved and built their new studio (which I contributed to financially) their content has gone way down hill. Their Saga of the Beast video with Bone and Spider was the last straw for me. Practically every edit there was a mistake - they didn't know the rule, the stat, or even the name of the model. At one point in the video, while they were apologizing again for not knowing something, they admitted they play too many armies. It was painful to watch... I guess I thought they were the tops for tactical content and great gamesmanship but it simply wasn't fun to watch, it was hard to follow, and it was sloppy all around so I unsubscribed from both their Youtube and pay channel. I admit, I'll miss Bone and Beard though.



Midwinter Minis may be producing my favorite content online right now. Guy, his girlfriend Penny, and his buddy Ant are putting out very enjoyable painting videos, batreps, and other fun content and their enjoyment of mini gaming is infectious! Their production is top notch and while the gaming videos may only be small-point games and their painting videos don't show any advance techniques, but I just love listening to them. I'm not sure if there's a specific reason I can put my finger on, but their weekly posts are my most anticipated videos I'm currently subscribed to ... except the Bard. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ork Mekboy Conversion

My Stompa needs a Mekboy to follow it around, so I made this simple conversion from my bits box. Since the GW model is out of stock,  I could only find a mek boy for $60 on eBay and this hobby is expensive enough. Besides, I think he looks cooler than the GW stock model, but let me know what you think!  #warhammercommunity #orks40k #orks #28mm #Warhammer40k #waaagh #dakka #conversion

Goblin Hobbies Stamping Kit First Attempt

I recently purchased the Goblin Hobbies Stampin' Kit after seeing the ads and how-to videos online. Brent from Goobertown Hobbies made it look super easy and I thought this could be the answer to painting clean Lamenters shoulder pads and eliminating the need for decals on other models. When the kit arrived, I gleefully started stamping some paper napkins in my kitchen. My early stamps weren't that great, but it was on paper and I was recklessly splogging nail polish everywhere so I wasn't worried about neatness or finesse or my success. After watching a few more tutorials and some nail art tutorials, I made some earnest attempts to make some new battleshock counters for my Blood Angels. This is how it went.  As you can see, I didn't get the same awesome results as the showcase videos. I fiddled sounds for about an hour until the acetone fumes got to me, and despite my best efforts, I wasn't getting clean prints, even on these flat wooden counters.  Obviously, I str...

Warhammer 40k Army Theme Songs

Ever since I was a wee lad first dipping my toes into miniature wargaming, I've always "sung along" while I played. While some players jiggle their dice, some pull their tape measure out and let it drop back in, but I've always had background music in my head and I tunelessly hum songs that match the armies on the table to the current events.  I'm also a big baseball fan and my friends and I would discuss our "walkup music" - the song that gets played over the stadium when you walk up to bat. Wrestlers have it. Comedians have it. James Bond has it. Why not Warhammer 40k? Here are a few of my ideas: Sons of Horus: Paint it Black - Rolling Stones Emperor's Children - Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson Iron Warriors: Ironman - Black Sabbath Thousand Sons: I Fought the Law - the Clash Nightlords: Thunderstuck AC/DC World Eaters: Freak on a Leash - Korn Word Bearers: Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Marines Death Guard: Zombie - the Cranberries Alpha...