Skip to main content

Burnout and the Las Vegas Open

Good news!

I recently purchased a ticket to the 2022 Las Vegas Open Warhammer 40,000 Championships, The Warhammer 40,000 Sunday RTT (because I doubt I’ll be playing Sunday on the top tables), and the obligatory “Convention Pass” or “FLG Prints Money Pass.”

Bad news!

I’ve never been more burnt out on playing Warhammer 40k in my life.

I was super psyched to get my tickets to the LVO because I’ve had a blast in the past, I was bummed to not go last year, and I’ve been playing a lot of competitive 40k recently and I feel like I’ve leveled up enough that I really want to take a shot in the big leagues. I’ve toyed around with a couple of armies, including Ad Mech, Orks, and my Salamanders but I’ve been enjoying playing my Space Wolves the most in recent weeks. I’ve been reading the Space Wolf Omibuses (omnibi?) and I can’t get enough of the Vlkya Fenryka lads. When I start painting an ork model, my mind tends to wander to daydreams of painting grey power armor and wolf pelts. I know I’ve got army ADD, because when I start to paint Wolves, I daydream about Orks but with a tournament looming I’m forced to can focus on one army in preparation.

To that end, I’ve been painting new models like crazy to keep up with what passes for a Space Marine tournament list like lots of Vanguard Vets/Wolf Guard. I’ve also been watching lots competitive content on Youtube for tips and strategies to become a better player. I know SWs aren’t a top tier list right now but I’ve been trying to get in a game or two each week to hone my skills. When the Space Wolf Contemptor Dreadnought became available again at Forgeworld, I pulled the proverbial trigger and ordered that chunk of resin to assist my pack with some vulkite rounds. I feel like I’m about as advanced a player as I’ve been since I was working in my comic and game store and getting in 5 games a week. But these days, I’m just burnt out.

Just before my last game, my army box inexplicably slid off the table and smashed apart on the floor. About 75-percent of my army had some damage. Some models popped off the base, some lost an arm or weapon arm… it was totally disheartening and felt a little like the universe giving me a nudge that I shouldn’t be playing Warhammer 40k. I seriously have no idea how the box fell off the table. It was completely flat, no one was around to bump the table; it’s like a poltergeist took his revenge on my army. I guess that’s what I get for using proxy models while the real model is on the painting desk.

I also purchased the Kill Team Octarius. The models are stunning, but the rules of the game are a hot mess. I mean, it’s trash. Also, I’m not looking forward to having to buy another $200 in books, cards, supplements and junk just to play a game with 10 models. I’ll probably write a more in-depth review at some point, but I feel like I paid $200 for a unit of Ork Kommandos. In my rabid fanboy frenzy, I preordered it without thinking and it’s likely just going to collect dust until I sell it when 10th edition of 40k drops and I sell this off on ebay.

The recent controversy with the Games Workshop NDA, Goobertown, Miscast, (the Youtuber who won’t be named who doxed Trent), and other trolls weighing in has also really turned me off. As a former retailer, my relationship with GW has been mixed. They are professionally difficult to deal with and are not a company I want to work with again, but as a fan, they make one of my favorite and accessible miniature games. As much as I love Battletech, Bolt Action, and others, it’s easiest to find a game of 40k.

While cleaning house when my wife and I refinished our floors, I got rid of literally thousands of dollars in old rule books. I had boxes and boxes weighing hundreds of pounds stashed away. I gave away as much as I could press on my friends but much of it went to the recycling center. Even a used bookstore didn’t want them… I wish my local scene was open to trying a new game. I’d really like to try the Judge Dredd game from Warlord.

Anyway, I’m committed to the LVO and I’ll keep posting my army progress as well as great idea I have for an army display.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ork Mekboy Conversion

My Stompa needs a Mekboy to follow it around, so I made this simple conversion from my bits box. Since the GW model is out of stock,  I could only find a mek boy for $60 on eBay and this hobby is expensive enough. Besides, I think he looks cooler than the GW stock model, but let me know what you think!  #warhammercommunity #orks40k #orks #28mm #Warhammer40k #waaagh #dakka #conversion

Goblin Hobbies Stamping Kit First Attempt

I recently purchased the Goblin Hobbies Stampin' Kit after seeing the ads and how-to videos online. Brent from Goobertown Hobbies made it look super easy and I thought this could be the answer to painting clean Lamenters shoulder pads and eliminating the need for decals on other models. When the kit arrived, I gleefully started stamping some paper napkins in my kitchen. My early stamps weren't that great, but it was on paper and I was recklessly splogging nail polish everywhere so I wasn't worried about neatness or finesse or my success. After watching a few more tutorials and some nail art tutorials, I made some earnest attempts to make some new battleshock counters for my Blood Angels. This is how it went.  As you can see, I didn't get the same awesome results as the showcase videos. I fiddled sounds for about an hour until the acetone fumes got to me, and despite my best efforts, I wasn't getting clean prints, even on these flat wooden counters.  Obviously, I str...

Warhammer 40k Army Theme Songs

Ever since I was a wee lad first dipping my toes into miniature wargaming, I've always "sung along" while I played. While some players jiggle their dice, some pull their tape measure out and let it drop back in, but I've always had background music in my head and I tunelessly hum songs that match the armies on the table to the current events.  I'm also a big baseball fan and my friends and I would discuss our "walkup music" - the song that gets played over the stadium when you walk up to bat. Wrestlers have it. Comedians have it. James Bond has it. Why not Warhammer 40k? Here are a few of my ideas: Sons of Horus: Paint it Black - Rolling Stones Emperor's Children - Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson Iron Warriors: Ironman - Black Sabbath Thousand Sons: I Fought the Law - the Clash Nightlords: Thunderstuck AC/DC World Eaters: Freak on a Leash - Korn Word Bearers: Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Marines Death Guard: Zombie - the Cranberries Alpha...