Skip to main content

Midwest ConQuest 2022 Tournament Recap

Dark Angels Deathwing Army


The Midwest ConQuest is an excellent event run by a Kansas City gaming club that features five to six tournaments in a single convention. I've always had a good time there and I made the short drive to KC to join in the action this year. I brought my Deathwing Dark Angels list; I think it's the most meta resistant.



There was a Blood Angel cos-player with a well made suit of holy armor.

I was a little jealous of the quality and layouts of the Bolt Action tournament. The quality of the 40k table were ok, but the Bolt Action folks really know how to dress a table.




Game Results:

In my first game, I played a young player who brought his Dark Eldar to his first tournament. 


It was a close game that came down to wire, but I won 81-75. It was a typical Deathwing game where I barely left my deployment zone and tried to roll 4+ for 2 and a half hours. 

My second game was against a Deathguard list. He had an interesting build with a similar game plan as mine to just score my points and don't make eye-contact. 

Dark angels 40k

I lost 71-72... In the last turn, I reminded my opponent to score the mission secondary, giving him 3 points and edging ahead of me.

In Round 3, I played Dark Eldar again. He, like my opponent earlier, had a heavy foot-dar force that threw wave after wave of evil space elves against my shields. 



My DE opponent wasn't having good luck and was struggling to take my guys off the table... minus the models I resurrected, I lost like 12 models and the DE player was getting really salty. He went to the hotel bar and got a beer after turn 2, which seemed to mellow him out a little.  I won 94-82.

We were playing on the exact same table as the last round, so narratively I'm going to say that's why I won.

On the second day, I was on table 5 facing Grey Knights in round 4.

Deathwing castle

This was another close game and the opponent was a blast to play! Like a lot of Dark Angels lists, the battle was fought in the center of the board, and my army nearly tabled him, but I lost 81-82. So close!

I'm literally 2 victory points away from the top table. Yar.


In the final round, I played a mirror match against another Dark Angels player who used mixed Wings.



I lost the last game 77-91. My dice went ice cold and I couldn't buy a 3+...  I made good progress in the late game but I lost one of my terminator units that are my to the last objectives. I left so many of his vehicles on 1 or 2 wounds and could never finish anything off and they were still very combat effective. 

It was a fun game but I'm really worn out after two days of traveling and yelling over the din of the crowd to be heard. 

The eventual winners tied in the final round! They decided to to roll off for the winner and I think they rolled the same number twice... lol, what a finish! 

The Midwest ConQuest is one of my favorites and I'll definitely be back next year! 

I finished 2-3 but 7th over all in points.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ork Mekboy Conversion

My Stompa needs a Mekboy to follow it around, so I made this simple conversion from my bits box. Since the GW model is out of stock,  I could only find a mek boy for $60 on eBay and this hobby is expensive enough. Besides, I think he looks cooler than the GW stock model, but let me know what you think!  #warhammercommunity #orks40k #orks #28mm #Warhammer40k #waaagh #dakka #conversion

Goblin Hobbies Stamping Kit First Attempt

I recently purchased the Goblin Hobbies Stampin' Kit after seeing the ads and how-to videos online. Brent from Goobertown Hobbies made it look super easy and I thought this could be the answer to painting clean Lamenters shoulder pads and eliminating the need for decals on other models. When the kit arrived, I gleefully started stamping some paper napkins in my kitchen. My early stamps weren't that great, but it was on paper and I was recklessly splogging nail polish everywhere so I wasn't worried about neatness or finesse or my success. After watching a few more tutorials and some nail art tutorials, I made some earnest attempts to make some new battleshock counters for my Blood Angels. This is how it went.  As you can see, I didn't get the same awesome results as the showcase videos. I fiddled sounds for about an hour until the acetone fumes got to me, and despite my best efforts, I wasn't getting clean prints, even on these flat wooden counters.  Obviously, I str...

Warhammer 40k Army Theme Songs

Ever since I was a wee lad first dipping my toes into miniature wargaming, I've always "sung along" while I played. While some players jiggle their dice, some pull their tape measure out and let it drop back in, but I've always had background music in my head and I tunelessly hum songs that match the armies on the table to the current events.  I'm also a big baseball fan and my friends and I would discuss our "walkup music" - the song that gets played over the stadium when you walk up to bat. Wrestlers have it. Comedians have it. James Bond has it. Why not Warhammer 40k? Here are a few of my ideas: Sons of Horus: Paint it Black - Rolling Stones Emperor's Children - Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson Iron Warriors: Ironman - Black Sabbath Thousand Sons: I Fought the Law - the Clash Nightlords: Thunderstuck AC/DC World Eaters: Freak on a Leash - Korn Word Bearers: Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Marines Death Guard: Zombie - the Cranberries Alpha...