Skip to main content

FSGC Grand Tournament Recap

Salamander army


This past weekend I made the short trek to Holton, Kansas to play in the Freestate Gaming Club GT. It was a five round GT with 32 players. I went 2-3 with my Salamanders. I know that my Salamanders/Space Marines aren’t in the greatest spot compared to the meta lists but I gave it my best and kept my chin up in some brutal losses. Also, I was dog tired and I have a serious case of medicine head from my allergy meds that are trying to combat a battle against a spore invasion from my arch nemesis, Spring.


 


Here’s my list:

Vulcan He’stan

Apothecary

5 Assault Intercessors

5 Intercessors

3 Flamer Aggressors x 2

3 Bladeguard Veterans x 2

3 Erradicators x 2

Landraider Crusader x 2

Redemptor Dreadnought (Onlsaught loadout)

Repulusor

Repulsor Executioner with Heavy Laser Destroyer



Here’s a quick recap.


Day 1:

Round 1: 18-100 loss to Orks.

Oof. Joe’s ork nob list ate all of my vehicles by the end of round 2 and the Orks went krumpin and I was tabled by round 3. I tried to yeet my Redemptor dread into Mozrog in turn 1 and whiffed. Overall, I  played WAY too aggressively for a Space Marine list and that netted me 18 points in total… yar.

Round 2: 86-46 win against Iron Warriors

Lane’s Iron Warriors were on the backfoot most of the game, and his dice did him no favors. I got extremely lucky and my Repulsor Executioner rolled boxcars on an overwatch with the big cannon popped one of his two Obliterators. I was also fortunate just about everywhere else on the battlefield and I felt like I played a good strategic game. The score also doesn’t reflect how close the game was, and if Lane had added one more objective, he might have made it a much closer match.

Round 3: 79-69 win over Chaos Space Marines

This game was nearly a draw (and nearly a loss,) but my opponent didn’t have a fully painted army. He also didn’t have any basing elements (or painted bases,) most of his models weren’t the basic three colors minimum, he had tons of proxy figs, and they weren’t modeled WYSIWYG… Despite that, the TOs let him play in the GT but the Chaos player scored himself 10 points for painting in the first two rounds… I always hope anyone can play in a tournament and I know painting isn’t everyone’s favorite part of the hobby, but in a GT, I feel like he was soft cheating by taking the painting points that he didn’t earn. It feels like a technicality, and I hate that I had a win that came down to painting score. At the end of the last round, we tried to get him as many other points as possible, but it came down to a 10-point win because I earned painting points and he didn’t. This is a win I hate.

Day 2:

Round 4: 60-100 loss to Sisters of Battle

In this game, I felt like I had a strong battle plan against Jason, a seasoned tournament player, but man, my dice were cold. Ice cold. I couldn’t roll 2+ to hit or 4+ to save. The strategy and dice rolls of my opponent were rock solid and he was even wiping out my units when his units died… Sisters are so good against Marines and I needed luck on my side because I played a poor strategic game and I forgot about Oath of Moment for the first two rounds. It sucks to suck. Jason was very generous and after he figured out that he had 100 points, he took his foot off the gas and let me score some garbage-time points in the last turn. He didn’t need to do that and I really appreciate his kindness. Honesty, he probably could have tabled me in turn 4, but his sportsmanship was very much appreciated.

Round 5: 32-100 loss to Necrons

I faced another player named Jason and his C’tan Necron list. Jason was a good opponent with a nasty list and it really shows how different the Necron Codex and the Space Marine Codex are built. I’m not sure there was a build I could have fielded that can beat this list. Maybe a tricked-out Templars list? Maybe? I may have been able to score some more points with a better draw of secondaries, but I think my marines lose this fight 9 out of 10 matchups. I don’t want to take anything away from Jason, who played a fun game and we both tried to give each other as many points as possible but I was tabled after about 45 minutes of play.



I loaded up my army and was headed home when Jesse, the TO, stopped me in the parking lot and asked me to stick around for the awards. I was ranked 27 out of 32 but I went back into the building.


Early in the awards section, I won best in faction because I was the only Salamander player (I thought it was just Space Marines for the faction award.) Then to my surprise, I won best Sportsman! I couldn’t believe it! I do try to keep my head held high, especially in these crushing losses, but this is one of the best compliments I could have received. I was also told that I nearly won best painted as well! For the award, I received this massive glass stein, a $150 gift card to the Freestate Gaming club FLGS, some paints and minis from Duncan Rhodes’ Two Thin Paints range, and a wood burned plaque. Oh man, that was so generous of them!

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ork Mekboy Conversion

My Stompa needs a Mekboy to follow it around, so I made this simple conversion from my bits box. Since the GW model is out of stock,  I could only find a mek boy for $60 on eBay and this hobby is expensive enough. Besides, I think he looks cooler than the GW stock model, but let me know what you think!  #warhammercommunity #orks40k #orks #28mm #Warhammer40k #waaagh #dakka #conversion

Goblin Hobbies Stamping Kit First Attempt

I recently purchased the Goblin Hobbies Stampin' Kit after seeing the ads and how-to videos online. Brent from Goobertown Hobbies made it look super easy and I thought this could be the answer to painting clean Lamenters shoulder pads and eliminating the need for decals on other models. When the kit arrived, I gleefully started stamping some paper napkins in my kitchen. My early stamps weren't that great, but it was on paper and I was recklessly splogging nail polish everywhere so I wasn't worried about neatness or finesse or my success. After watching a few more tutorials and some nail art tutorials, I made some earnest attempts to make some new battleshock counters for my Blood Angels. This is how it went.  As you can see, I didn't get the same awesome results as the showcase videos. I fiddled sounds for about an hour until the acetone fumes got to me, and despite my best efforts, I wasn't getting clean prints, even on these flat wooden counters.  Obviously, I str...

Warhammer 40k Army Theme Songs

Ever since I was a wee lad first dipping my toes into miniature wargaming, I've always "sung along" while I played. While some players jiggle their dice, some pull their tape measure out and let it drop back in, but I've always had background music in my head and I tunelessly hum songs that match the armies on the table to the current events.  I'm also a big baseball fan and my friends and I would discuss our "walkup music" - the song that gets played over the stadium when you walk up to bat. Wrestlers have it. Comedians have it. James Bond has it. Why not Warhammer 40k? Here are a few of my ideas: Sons of Horus: Paint it Black - Rolling Stones Emperor's Children - Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson Iron Warriors: Ironman - Black Sabbath Thousand Sons: I Fought the Law - the Clash Nightlords: Thunderstuck AC/DC World Eaters: Freak on a Leash - Korn Word Bearers: Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Marines Death Guard: Zombie - the Cranberries Alpha...