Skip to main content

Display Board for Warhammer 40k

I don't know if you'll receive any bonus points for building a display board in Warhammer 40k 8th edition, but I find it's the best way to carry my minis around no matter what edition.

My dragon wing army for my Khorne Daemon Kin is just about finished painting and I'm going to take them to both the Midwest Conquest and Bugeater tournaments. I'm just finishing up my "extra" units that I can summon during the game and once I complete that, I'll snap a few more pics.

The dragon wing army takes up a large footprint so I had to order a large tea tray from Pier One for all of my models to fit. It's roughly 20"x20" and is easily the largest of all of my carrying trays.

Here's how I made it:

 First I cut out a sheet of cork from Michael's and cut out a rough shape of the Khorne symbol. Then I glued the outer portion of the cork sheet to a piece of plywood cut to the interior dimensions of my tea tray.

I used a lot of rocks from the garden to hold the cork down so it wouldn't bubble while it dried.
Next I glued the little triangle bit for the interior of the Khorne symbol and added glue in the cutout.
Next I added a lot of flocking rock of various size to the interior. I want the Khorne symbol to appear that it's been ripped out of the earth.
Next, I primed the whole board in cheap spray primer from the hardware store.

I had a cup of coffee while it dried.
Finally to wrap up, I dry brushed the topsoil portion of the board to match my bases on the models. Then, I airbrushed the Khorne symbol to look like it's hot magma or evil energy has burned a brand in the desert.

Then, it's done!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ork Mekboy Conversion

My Stompa needs a Mekboy to follow it around, so I made this simple conversion from my bits box. Since the GW model is out of stock,  I could only find a mek boy for $60 on eBay and this hobby is expensive enough. Besides, I think he looks cooler than the GW stock model, but let me know what you think!  #warhammercommunity #orks40k #orks #28mm #Warhammer40k #waaagh #dakka #conversion

Goblin Hobbies Stamping Kit First Attempt

I recently purchased the Goblin Hobbies Stampin' Kit after seeing the ads and how-to videos online. Brent from Goobertown Hobbies made it look super easy and I thought this could be the answer to painting clean Lamenters shoulder pads and eliminating the need for decals on other models. When the kit arrived, I gleefully started stamping some paper napkins in my kitchen. My early stamps weren't that great, but it was on paper and I was recklessly splogging nail polish everywhere so I wasn't worried about neatness or finesse or my success. After watching a few more tutorials and some nail art tutorials, I made some earnest attempts to make some new battleshock counters for my Blood Angels. This is how it went.  As you can see, I didn't get the same awesome results as the showcase videos. I fiddled sounds for about an hour until the acetone fumes got to me, and despite my best efforts, I wasn't getting clean prints, even on these flat wooden counters.  Obviously, I str...

Warhammer 40k Army Theme Songs

Ever since I was a wee lad first dipping my toes into miniature wargaming, I've always "sung along" while I played. While some players jiggle their dice, some pull their tape measure out and let it drop back in, but I've always had background music in my head and I tunelessly hum songs that match the armies on the table to the current events.  I'm also a big baseball fan and my friends and I would discuss our "walkup music" - the song that gets played over the stadium when you walk up to bat. Wrestlers have it. Comedians have it. James Bond has it. Why not Warhammer 40k? Here are a few of my ideas: Sons of Horus: Paint it Black - Rolling Stones Emperor's Children - Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson Iron Warriors: Ironman - Black Sabbath Thousand Sons: I Fought the Law - the Clash Nightlords: Thunderstuck AC/DC World Eaters: Freak on a Leash - Korn Word Bearers: Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Marines Death Guard: Zombie - the Cranberries Alpha...