Skip to main content

Midwest Conquest Recap

This past weekend I traveled to Kansas City for the awesome Midwest Conquest Warhammer 40k Grand Tournament. I never had so much fun losing. It's a great tournament and I had more fun this year than last year but I fared far worse on the table top.

Here's my army in a nutshell:
2 CADS
1 Chaos Lord on Juggernaut
1 D-Thirster - Bloodthirster
3 Units of Cultists
1 Unit of Bloodletters
4 Heldrakes with baleflamers
1 Heldrake with autocanon

My army on parade.










 D-Thirster ready for action.
Dark Prince Adam.
The drakes! I wanted my army to look like a 70s album cover.



















My plan was to let the heldrakes do most of the heavy lifting. They can zip around the field, go into hover mode to snag objectives, torch Marines and melt through their armor, deny jinks to Dark Angels and various Eldar... the army looks great on paper and fared well in the few test games I was able to get in but did not do well against tournament play.



 As I mentioned before, I had a blast. There were 70 players in the 40k GT and surprisingly, there weren't a lot of Marines or Eldar... However, I nearly faced every Necron player who entered - coincidentally, the worst match-up for my army.

They say that speed kills, but apparently the best defense is resurrection. I played 3 Necron armies and lost to all three because I couldn't kill anything. The dang things wouldn't melt with all of my fire. In the battle of space robots vs space dragons, space robots won.

My games went:
1. Win vs Necrons - Great player and I skunked him in a win on the last turn by snagging objectives but his army was otherwise intact.
2. Loss vs Dark Eldar. - The guy charged top of turn 1 with a large talos unit. I told him he couldn't and he said he could... I dug through the rule book but couldn't find the damn scout USR quickly so I let him get away with it.
3. Loss vs Necrons. Another great player who had a Christmas themed Necron army. I could not roll to wound to save my life - or end his.
4. Loss vs. Space Wolves. Another nice player who fielded a nasty Curse of the Wolfen list. I nearly tabled him but he had a ton of points in the victory conditions and made an impossible amount of storm shield saves.
5. Loss vs. Necrons. Necrons, again. Also, another Christmas themed Necron army, complete with Lego heads and lights! I shouldn't complain because he was a lot of fun to play but again, I couldn't get past those Necron resurrection rolls.
6. Win vs. Ork. I played my friend Warren and his Ork trukk and biker mob. Warren was the only Ork player in attendance... I haven't played him in a couple of years and I think the last time we played, he beat me in a 500 point game. We had a lot of fun and I'm glad I got to play him.


























I ran into this sketchy looking Bender unit. I think he stole my wallet... Perhaps he was working for the Necrons.

 Christmas themed Necron army #1. The Santa Crons.
Christmas themed Necron army #2 - with Lego heads and working lights!










Again, I truly had a blast getting my ass kicked. I had a lot of compliments on my army and everyone said they were afraid to play me... but my army folded pretty easily with the heat was on. I had a couple people vote for me for top paint too, which was very flattering and probably my proudest moment of the tournament. 

 Next weekend it's off of Omaha for the Bugeater GT. I thought about bringing my Daemonkin but I think they are going to sit this one out and I'm going to bring my Grey Knights and Roboute Guilliman ... if I can get Robby G. painted in time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ork Mekboy Conversion

My Stompa needs a Mekboy to follow it around, so I made this simple conversion from my bits box. Since the GW model is out of stock,  I could only find a mek boy for $60 on eBay and this hobby is expensive enough. Besides, I think he looks cooler than the GW stock model, but let me know what you think!  #warhammercommunity #orks40k #orks #28mm #Warhammer40k #waaagh #dakka #conversion

Goblin Hobbies Stamping Kit First Attempt

I recently purchased the Goblin Hobbies Stampin' Kit after seeing the ads and how-to videos online. Brent from Goobertown Hobbies made it look super easy and I thought this could be the answer to painting clean Lamenters shoulder pads and eliminating the need for decals on other models. When the kit arrived, I gleefully started stamping some paper napkins in my kitchen. My early stamps weren't that great, but it was on paper and I was recklessly splogging nail polish everywhere so I wasn't worried about neatness or finesse or my success. After watching a few more tutorials and some nail art tutorials, I made some earnest attempts to make some new battleshock counters for my Blood Angels. This is how it went.  As you can see, I didn't get the same awesome results as the showcase videos. I fiddled sounds for about an hour until the acetone fumes got to me, and despite my best efforts, I wasn't getting clean prints, even on these flat wooden counters.  Obviously, I str...

Warhammer 40k Army Theme Songs

Ever since I was a wee lad first dipping my toes into miniature wargaming, I've always "sung along" while I played. While some players jiggle their dice, some pull their tape measure out and let it drop back in, but I've always had background music in my head and I tunelessly hum songs that match the armies on the table to the current events.  I'm also a big baseball fan and my friends and I would discuss our "walkup music" - the song that gets played over the stadium when you walk up to bat. Wrestlers have it. Comedians have it. James Bond has it. Why not Warhammer 40k? Here are a few of my ideas: Sons of Horus: Paint it Black - Rolling Stones Emperor's Children - Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson Iron Warriors: Ironman - Black Sabbath Thousand Sons: I Fought the Law - the Clash Nightlords: Thunderstuck AC/DC World Eaters: Freak on a Leash - Korn Word Bearers: Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Marines Death Guard: Zombie - the Cranberries Alpha...