Skip to main content

Old Hammer Options

I've stripped and repainted a few of my "old hammer" models more than a few times and I think I'm going to take another stab at an army.

This morning, I threw on a few coats of paint on a couple of models for chapters that I've considered.

test models
Test paint jobs for chapter options for my Old Hammer army.


From left to right:
Raven Guard, Salamanders, Flesh Tearers, Raptors, Mentors, Emperor's Spears

I've long considered painting a Raven Guard army and the rules are really good right now but a black army is so boring to paint. I know a few people really prefer "grim dark" models but part of the attraction of an old hammer army is brightness and color.

The Salamanders would fit with my 30k and 40k armies. Plus, I get a cool alternate scheme with the yellow and black salamander pattern, however, the rules aren't great for them as I feel a unit that doesn't allow overwatch is a must thanks to Tau and Eldar being so good at blunting a charge. (Raven Guard warlord trait or the Angel's Wing relic for Blood Angels don't allow overwatch.)

The Flesh Tearers are initially my first choice. Great relic in Angel's Wing (I know they aren't supposed to use it but I'm not taking Seth so I just run them as generic successors) but I need to buy a lot of decals as that damn buzzsaw icon is tough for me to paint.

The Rapors are a fun choice - I love painting khaki green and as Raven Guard successors, they have the awesome warlord trait. Plus, the old blue and yellow scheme is very fun.

The Mentors are an unusual choice... I don't enjoy painting white, but the white and green scheme screams "Rogue Trader" to me. Their fluff is ambiguous so I can flex their chapter tactic into whichever I see fit.

The Emperor's Spears is a modern army and is fairly new to me. I love the color scheme and I've been trying to win a copy of the limited edition novel/starter kit off eBay. I don't want to add another army to my 40k collection, but I feel like I could sneak them in as an old hammer army because I won't use them in my regular 40k games or mix them with modern units. That light blue is so awesome though!

Not pictured: Eagle Warriors/Nova Marines, Ultra Marines (again), and Imperial Fists.

I like the idea of the Eagle Warriors and/or Nova Marines because I love the split color schemes. However, all of these choices are fairly well represented in old hammer armies I've found on the Web. In fact, the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on Flesh Tearers is because I found a guy who has an amazing paint job on his FT army (and a great blog) and I don't want to follow in his footsteps or step on his toes. I selfishly want to be the "premier guy" with an army. I've seen several gamers who have amazing Ultramarine, Imperial Fists, and Blood Angel armies and they seem to be poster boys for those models and I want to try to carve out a niche for myself.

What do you folks think?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Space Marine Armorium Cherub

Out of all of the horrors in the Warhammer 40k universe, the cherubs creep me out the most... It's one of the most grimdark things in the universe.  #miniaturepainting #paintingwarhammer #grimdark #warhammercommunity #armoriumcherub #spacemarines #astartes #adeptusastartes #new40k

Warhammer 40k Primarch Rumors

There's are a couple of rumors floating around from Games Workshop about new Warhammer 40k rules and models releases; as well as major changes to the fluff. Rumor 1: All of the Primarchs will return, including the dead. Rumor 2: One of the traitor Primarchs will become a loyalist and one of the Imperial loyalists will become a traitor. I got into a discussion with some people on a thread on Spiky Bits' Facebook page about it and here are my theories. The Emperor will briefly return, only to be killed again. Once he finally dies, all of the pysker souls he's been consuming on the golden throne will coalesce and bring all of the dead primarchs back to life. The missing primarachs will rush back to Holy Terra like moths to a flame. Of course, this means both Horus and Sanguinius have returned as well. Horus will see the results of his actions and will repent his wicked ways, blame Ebrus/Logar and the Word Bearers for tricking him into corruption and turn to the sid

Turnip28 Miniature

  "Fine words butter no parsnips."