Skip to main content

Bug Eater GT 2019 Recap

This past weekend was the 2019 (ninth edition) Bug Eater GT in Omaha, Nebraska - a fundraiser for a high school's debate team. (Which may be my favorite reason to hold a 40k tournament.)

I took my combined army of Astra Militarum, Blood Angels, and Adeptus Custodes, and joined my friend Kyle, and made the northward trek to Omaha to play in the 40k grand tournament.




I have dishonored and embarrassed myself again with a 2-4 record. I felt really good the first day going 2-2, but I lost two close games on day 2.

In all of my losses, my opponents said they loved my army, said nothing was wrong with it, loved the paint job and display base ... but I can't roll dice for shit. I even bought another set from a vendor at the tournament to no avail. I tried to keep my head high but I was routinely missing charges and I can't even say that I had average dice.

My army usually sends a pair of smash captains, a pair of shield captains on dawneagle jetbikes, and an infantry squad of Astra Militarum troops into "deepstrike" and has them all pop out on turn 2 to throw themselves at the enemy.

One of the dawneagle jetbike captains can re-roll his charge. One of the smash captains doesn't suffer overwatch and burns a stratagem to use 3d6 on the charge (and uses a command point re-roll.) All five of these charges need a roll of a 9 on 2d6 to make the charge. Most games I only made one charge.

Feats of shame:
*I only made it past turn 3 in two of my games. I only made it to turn 6 in one game.
*My snipers only rolled 6s twice. That's the total in all 6 games.
*Neither smash captain never survived a game, usually dying because they missed the first charge and then was unceremoniously shot to smithereens.
*In both the Midwest ConQuest and BugEater, I failed to make the cut on painting. I'm pretty chapped about a couple of the armies that made the cut because they were hack "dip" jobs or they weren't painted by the player. Kyle was approached by the tournament organizer and complimented about his paint and how close he was to making the cut. Kyle has a 2 colors and a wash, with the wash making the 3 color minimum.

I tired to keep my head up, but as the games wore on, I had a hard time having fun. In my last 23 tournament games, I'm 4-23.

I can't roll. I can't Warhammer. Ug.

Anyone want to buy an army? I've got like 14...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Space Marine Armorium Cherub

Out of all of the horrors in the Warhammer 40k universe, the cherubs creep me out the most... It's one of the most grimdark things in the universe.  #miniaturepainting #paintingwarhammer #grimdark #warhammercommunity #armoriumcherub #spacemarines #astartes #adeptusastartes #new40k

Warhammer 40k Primarch Rumors

There's are a couple of rumors floating around from Games Workshop about new Warhammer 40k rules and models releases; as well as major changes to the fluff. Rumor 1: All of the Primarchs will return, including the dead. Rumor 2: One of the traitor Primarchs will become a loyalist and one of the Imperial loyalists will become a traitor. I got into a discussion with some people on a thread on Spiky Bits' Facebook page about it and here are my theories. The Emperor will briefly return, only to be killed again. Once he finally dies, all of the pysker souls he's been consuming on the golden throne will coalesce and bring all of the dead primarchs back to life. The missing primarachs will rush back to Holy Terra like moths to a flame. Of course, this means both Horus and Sanguinius have returned as well. Horus will see the results of his actions and will repent his wicked ways, blame Ebrus/Logar and the Word Bearers for tricking him into corruption and turn to the sid

Turnip28 Miniature

  "Fine words butter no parsnips."