Skip to main content

LVO 2023 Recap

Las Vegas Open Warhammer 40k championship


The 2023 Las Vegas Open is over for me. I finished with a disappointing record of 2-3-1 and placed 576th with 473 points. My tie and two of the losses were very close and I scored well in all but two of my games so I feel a little better about my performance.

Dark angels army display



There's a lot to love in giant events like the LVO. You can meet a lot of famous players, see new games, get great tips from pro painters and hobbyists, make new friends, play out of your usual pool of gamers, and generally have a great time.

I got to meet a couple of people I follow on YouTube and Instagram and I made a few new friends too. That's really the best part of the tournament.

However, there are a few downsides too and areas that could be improved.

First, Frontline puts on a great show. They obviously do a ton of work to pull something this large off. However, I am disappointed that it's being run in Warzone Nephilim and not Arks of Omen. I think AoO is a much more level playing field and the balance patches have evened the game out for more armies to have a fair game and I don't think you'll see a few of the top army builds after this weekend. 

Second, with so many players, it's crowded. Gamers are gamers and in one round, I played next to a guy with both bad body odor and some of the most foul breath I've ever smelled. He was definitely a servant of Nurgle... The funk level was high across the casino with tabbacco, vape and weed and the it was compounded with (some) bad BO.

With so many players, you need a lot of tables and this meant that 6 tables were butted together in a row. If you didn't have an end table, you had to push through the crowd to get to the other side just to move your models. There are alot of hand carts and baggage at these events and I felt like I was always tripping over something or someone, or getting clobbered in the back by backpacks or army trays. I don't know if it's worth capping the participants to make sure there's more room and less crowding.

FLG events use their own terrain products (mostly) and feature player placed terrain rules. I'm a fan of neither. I don't like them so much that I don't know if I'm going to play in an FLG event in the future. They have a nice rules packet that explains most of the terrain and rules, but they also admit in those rules that there are problems with their terrain - but don't fix those issues. I've been spoiled by the GW events and Away Games who use the fixed maps and high end terrain and I'm  disappointed in FLGs tabletops.

My first two trips to the LVO were at Balley's, a very good casino on the Vegas Strip. This year was at the Rio and it is a dump. The Rio is located off the strip and is near nothing. It's in a desperate need of a makeover and some basic maintenance. It's run down, stains everywhere, the bath is gross, half of the stores, restaurants and features aren't open, you have to wait in line just to use the elevator... I don't want to stay here again. The staff are nice though but clearly the owners are putting in minimum effort. 

Enough whining, here's the game by game recap:

Day 1

Game 1 - I played a Chaos Knights player from Canada and lost 75-78. My dice were ice cold and it plagued me the entire game. Twice, I lost a terminator to stubbers on rolls of triple 1s. Oy! It was a close game though but my opponent was cagey and measured and double measured every move in an almost clinical method, but he maneuvered expertly to grab the win in the final half turn.

Game 2 - I lost 88-65 vs a Thousand Sons army played by Eric from Wisconson. This was my worst loss as I was on the backfoot from the start and cold dice did me no favors. About mid game I had to make some risky charges to play catch-up and none of the risks paid off. Eric was a fun player and knew his army well; a great player who had obviously played the tournament circuit. He even gave me one of his team's dice!


Game 3 - I tied with Guy and his Grey Knights at 63 points each. Usually, Grey Knights are my Achilles heel and I struggle against space magic but we both played a cagey match and a few of my risky moves paid off to force a draw. Guy and I played at tables next to each other the rest of the tournament and we gave each other a hard time over the next few rounds. We both talked about the scenarios that would have given us the win if we only played a little differently. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Day 2 

Game 4 - I faced Bailey and his Black Templars. My dice finally woke up and were red hot. I played my game well and everything seemed to go my way and I won 95-50. I can't really say that my generalship was a factor, my dice just took over. Bailey was a super fun player and never let himself get down as his plans fell apart. A+ for Bailey!


Game 5 - I was lucky enough to be paired with Cliff from Stat Check! He brought his Imperial Knights and my dice hadn't cooled off yet and my Deathwing went ham on his big guys. I mean, full goblin mode. I saved a single terminator from taking 6 wounds by rolling 4 sixes with my apothecary. I apologized to him but Cliff took everything in stride and was a great player to roll dice with for a couple hours. Like Bailey, he was an excellent example of a sportsman and I wish I could keep smiling as much as him.

Game 6 - My Dangles squared up against another elite army, the meta Custodes list with three grav tanks in the final game. We fought a true slobberknocker of a battle and it came down to the last rolls of the game. Unfortunately, I let a Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike slip away with 1 wound and that model scored the space janitors 10 points in the bottom of turn 5, costing me the match. I lost 83-92.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ork Mekboy Conversion

My Stompa needs a Mekboy to follow it around, so I made this simple conversion from my bits box. Since the GW model is out of stock,  I could only find a mek boy for $60 on eBay and this hobby is expensive enough. Besides, I think he looks cooler than the GW stock model, but let me know what you think!  #warhammercommunity #orks40k #orks #28mm #Warhammer40k #waaagh #dakka #conversion

Goblin Hobbies Stamping Kit First Attempt

I recently purchased the Goblin Hobbies Stampin' Kit after seeing the ads and how-to videos online. Brent from Goobertown Hobbies made it look super easy and I thought this could be the answer to painting clean Lamenters shoulder pads and eliminating the need for decals on other models. When the kit arrived, I gleefully started stamping some paper napkins in my kitchen. My early stamps weren't that great, but it was on paper and I was recklessly splogging nail polish everywhere so I wasn't worried about neatness or finesse or my success. After watching a few more tutorials and some nail art tutorials, I made some earnest attempts to make some new battleshock counters for my Blood Angels. This is how it went.  As you can see, I didn't get the same awesome results as the showcase videos. I fiddled sounds for about an hour until the acetone fumes got to me, and despite my best efforts, I wasn't getting clean prints, even on these flat wooden counters.  Obviously, I str...

Warhammer 40k Army Theme Songs

Ever since I was a wee lad first dipping my toes into miniature wargaming, I've always "sung along" while I played. While some players jiggle their dice, some pull their tape measure out and let it drop back in, but I've always had background music in my head and I tunelessly hum songs that match the armies on the table to the current events.  I'm also a big baseball fan and my friends and I would discuss our "walkup music" - the song that gets played over the stadium when you walk up to bat. Wrestlers have it. Comedians have it. James Bond has it. Why not Warhammer 40k? Here are a few of my ideas: Sons of Horus: Paint it Black - Rolling Stones Emperor's Children - Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson Iron Warriors: Ironman - Black Sabbath Thousand Sons: I Fought the Law - the Clash Nightlords: Thunderstuck AC/DC World Eaters: Freak on a Leash - Korn Word Bearers: Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Marines Death Guard: Zombie - the Cranberries Alpha...