Skip to main content

The Topeka Open Wahammer 40k Tournament - Day 1

I'm playing in the inaugural Topeka Open Warhammer 40k Grand Tournament. It's a 25-person GT hosted in a nice event space by Away Games. 

Away Games always has the best terrain and if you have a chance to play in one of their events, I highly recommend them. They've always had great prize support and Eli has a great sense of humor running his events. 

I was lucky enough to be selected for an interview on the wonderful Wargames Live stream (and I played my the second game on the stream as well!) During the interview, we talked about my army, strengths and weaknesses, and the hype for Arcs of Omen. Wargames Live viewers voted for my game to be streamed in the second round and I got to play Mitchell and his TSons lead by Ahriman himself. It was a fantastic game that ended in a 74-point tie!

It came down to the wire and I don't think I would have done anything differently. Great game, great opponent. 


Link to YouTube

I'm at the 4 hour mark. I can't say enough nice things about Joe, his stream, and what it does for the tournament scene and the hobby. Please give him a sub, hit that like button, and give him a donation during a stream if you like it. 


Day 1 recap:

Game 1 vs. Nids psychic spam - I won 88-56

Game 2 vs. Thousand Sons led by Ahriman 74-point tie!

Game 3 vs. Nids monster mash 50-96 loss. Yar.

Tomorrow, I'll try to scrape together two more wins. This is my final prep for the LVO so I want to get the most out of these "live-fire" test games.

Day 2 Recap

Game 4 vs. Ultramarine plasma spam - 73-point tie - again!

Game 5 vs. New Astra Militarum 78-62 win! I know I won this match, but this was my favorite opponent of the day. Sean, didn't want to play another power armor army again, but he soldiered on and he was an awesome player. I haven't laughed this much during a game, not had my opponent laugh during a loss as much as he did. I hope to play him again!


So I went 2-1-2 with a winning record? It was a blast and I hope we get to do it again next year in Top City.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ork Mekboy Conversion

My Stompa needs a Mekboy to follow it around, so I made this simple conversion from my bits box. Since the GW model is out of stock,  I could only find a mek boy for $60 on eBay and this hobby is expensive enough. Besides, I think he looks cooler than the GW stock model, but let me know what you think!  #warhammercommunity #orks40k #orks #28mm #Warhammer40k #waaagh #dakka #conversion

Goblin Hobbies Stamping Kit First Attempt

I recently purchased the Goblin Hobbies Stampin' Kit after seeing the ads and how-to videos online. Brent from Goobertown Hobbies made it look super easy and I thought this could be the answer to painting clean Lamenters shoulder pads and eliminating the need for decals on other models. When the kit arrived, I gleefully started stamping some paper napkins in my kitchen. My early stamps weren't that great, but it was on paper and I was recklessly splogging nail polish everywhere so I wasn't worried about neatness or finesse or my success. After watching a few more tutorials and some nail art tutorials, I made some earnest attempts to make some new battleshock counters for my Blood Angels. This is how it went.  As you can see, I didn't get the same awesome results as the showcase videos. I fiddled sounds for about an hour until the acetone fumes got to me, and despite my best efforts, I wasn't getting clean prints, even on these flat wooden counters.  Obviously, I str...

Warhammer 40k Army Theme Songs

Ever since I was a wee lad first dipping my toes into miniature wargaming, I've always "sung along" while I played. While some players jiggle their dice, some pull their tape measure out and let it drop back in, but I've always had background music in my head and I tunelessly hum songs that match the armies on the table to the current events.  I'm also a big baseball fan and my friends and I would discuss our "walkup music" - the song that gets played over the stadium when you walk up to bat. Wrestlers have it. Comedians have it. James Bond has it. Why not Warhammer 40k? Here are a few of my ideas: Sons of Horus: Paint it Black - Rolling Stones Emperor's Children - Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson Iron Warriors: Ironman - Black Sabbath Thousand Sons: I Fought the Law - the Clash Nightlords: Thunderstuck AC/DC World Eaters: Freak on a Leash - Korn Word Bearers: Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Marines Death Guard: Zombie - the Cranberries Alpha...