Skip to main content

Hobby Review Wet Palette

I started using a wet palette for my miniature painting about 5-years ago. I'm not kidding when I say that it was one of the biggest game changers to my painting hobby. I mostly used it to keep my paint wet by adding days of shelf life to my paint. More painting time means I use less paint. Plus, I can blend colors well on the paper.

I tried a homemade sponge and parchment paper kit, and it worked ok but it was far from perfect. However, I was convinced enough in the process to try a Sta-Wet palette from the art supply store. I loved it. 

I paint almost every day and my first Sta-Wet last about 4 years before the sponge disintegrated to the point I couldn't use it. 

I won an Army Painter Wet Palette at a tournament so I tried it out instead of replacing the Sta-Wet. It's a little smaller than the Sta-Wet but it was plenty big enough for the kind of mixing and blending I do. The Army Painter Wet Palette also features a brush holder; a feature that I didn't use and it constantly seemed to get in the way.  I even had to make a grab-handle out of tape to make it easier to get off the basin.

I tried to use the Army Painter Wet Palette for about a month, but I just couldn't get the hang of the water to paper ratio. The paint always ran and made a mess. After a painting session, I'd put the lid on, but the next day, paint was everywhere! I was wasting so much time cleaning up, not to mention the wasted paint.

I went back to my trusty Sta-Wet Palette. I think these two photos probably sum up my review better than any words I can write.

Army painter wet palette


Both of these palettes where used for the same amount of time, with Citadel, Vallejo, and Ammo by MIG paints. One set keeps the paint usable for days, one runs everywhere. 

I normally like Army Painter products, but I just love my Sta-Wet Palette.


The Army Painter Shop


Masterson Art

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ork Mekboy Conversion

My Stompa needs a Mekboy to follow it around, so I made this simple conversion from my bits box. Since the GW model is out of stock,  I could only find a mek boy for $60 on eBay and this hobby is expensive enough. Besides, I think he looks cooler than the GW stock model, but let me know what you think!  #warhammercommunity #orks40k #orks #28mm #Warhammer40k #waaagh #dakka #conversion

Goblin Hobbies Stamping Kit First Attempt

I recently purchased the Goblin Hobbies Stampin' Kit after seeing the ads and how-to videos online. Brent from Goobertown Hobbies made it look super easy and I thought this could be the answer to painting clean Lamenters shoulder pads and eliminating the need for decals on other models. When the kit arrived, I gleefully started stamping some paper napkins in my kitchen. My early stamps weren't that great, but it was on paper and I was recklessly splogging nail polish everywhere so I wasn't worried about neatness or finesse or my success. After watching a few more tutorials and some nail art tutorials, I made some earnest attempts to make some new battleshock counters for my Blood Angels. This is how it went.  As you can see, I didn't get the same awesome results as the showcase videos. I fiddled sounds for about an hour until the acetone fumes got to me, and despite my best efforts, I wasn't getting clean prints, even on these flat wooden counters.  Obviously, I str...

Warhammer 40k Army Theme Songs

Ever since I was a wee lad first dipping my toes into miniature wargaming, I've always "sung along" while I played. While some players jiggle their dice, some pull their tape measure out and let it drop back in, but I've always had background music in my head and I tunelessly hum songs that match the armies on the table to the current events.  I'm also a big baseball fan and my friends and I would discuss our "walkup music" - the song that gets played over the stadium when you walk up to bat. Wrestlers have it. Comedians have it. James Bond has it. Why not Warhammer 40k? Here are a few of my ideas: Sons of Horus: Paint it Black - Rolling Stones Emperor's Children - Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson Iron Warriors: Ironman - Black Sabbath Thousand Sons: I Fought the Law - the Clash Nightlords: Thunderstuck AC/DC World Eaters: Freak on a Leash - Korn Word Bearers: Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Marines Death Guard: Zombie - the Cranberries Alpha...