Skip to main content

Tournament Prep

I've been prepping for the 2026 Flying Monkey Grand Tournament. Among the lists I'm considering are Orks Greentide, Orks Double Stompa, Blood Angels Liberator Assault Group, or Salamanders Forgefather lists.

The Flying Monkey team has made a few controversial decisions for the event that I have to consider.

1. Rounds are 2:45, with 15 minutes for set up and 1:15 per player. That is a ridiculously short amount of time! Most of my games with my Ork Greentide last about 4 hours. 11th edition moves so slowly, scoring is awkward, and each game has a bespoke setup and 2;45 isn't enough time to play with 200 models.



2. The terrain footprints won't have "nubs." You know, the little extra bits that break up the perfect straight edges that also allows you to tow-in to terrain pieces? I suspect the tournament organizers printed their own terrain footprints and didn't realize that it would be a big deal to leave them off. However, with the way battlefields are crated and terrain is placed, it makes a big difference for a lot of armies who rely on a MSU approach to scoring.

3. They are allowing the new Ork codex, but lists will be due the same day the codex is released. I've been trying to read all of the leaks and rumors but there is just so much that is unknown that I can't reliably make a game plan or build a list.

This past week, I played a trial game with my dual Stompas against a great Tau player, Chase. We used current points and tried to use leaked info as best we could, but my Stompas only killed a single unit of Stealth suits and were destroyed by turn 2... The terrain is a challenge to.move around and they are so vulnerable when my opponets can just reroll hits, wounds, and damage. Even though I can get a game in time, I dont know if I could stand to lose 6 games at a GT again like the Midwest ConQuest. 

Then I played my Blood Angels against a different Tau player, Kyle, on Saturday. They faired better but I was effectively shot off the table by the end of turn 3.



My Forgefathers have a lot of unpainted minis and I don't think I can get them ready in time. I could play some random models that add up to 2,000 points but it would probably just be a losing 

I'll likely just bring my Blood Angels. I've been so nonplussed about 11th that I'm not looking forward to this GT... so I bought the Necromunda refresh.

Necrumunda rulebooks with $106 price tags.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ork Mekboy Conversion

My Stompa needs a Mekboy to follow it around, so I made this simple conversion from my bits box. Since the GW model is out of stock,  I could only find a mek boy for $60 on eBay and this hobby is expensive enough. Besides, I think he looks cooler than the GW stock model, but let me know what you think!  #warhammercommunity #orks40k #orks #28mm #Warhammer40k #waaagh #dakka #conversion

Goblin Hobbies Stamping Kit First Attempt

I recently purchased the Goblin Hobbies Stampin' Kit after seeing the ads and how-to videos online. Brent from Goobertown Hobbies made it look super easy and I thought this could be the answer to painting clean Lamenters shoulder pads and eliminating the need for decals on other models. When the kit arrived, I gleefully started stamping some paper napkins in my kitchen. My early stamps weren't that great, but it was on paper and I was recklessly splogging nail polish everywhere so I wasn't worried about neatness or finesse or my success. After watching a few more tutorials and some nail art tutorials, I made some earnest attempts to make some new battleshock counters for my Blood Angels. This is how it went.  As you can see, I didn't get the same awesome results as the showcase videos. I fiddled sounds for about an hour until the acetone fumes got to me, and despite my best efforts, I wasn't getting clean prints, even on these flat wooden counters.  Obviously, I str...

Warhammer 40k Army Theme Songs

Ever since I was a wee lad first dipping my toes into miniature wargaming, I've always "sung along" while I played. While some players jiggle their dice, some pull their tape measure out and let it drop back in, but I've always had background music in my head and I tunelessly hum songs that match the armies on the table to the current events.  I'm also a big baseball fan and my friends and I would discuss our "walkup music" - the song that gets played over the stadium when you walk up to bat. Wrestlers have it. Comedians have it. James Bond has it. Why not Warhammer 40k? Here are a few of my ideas: Sons of Horus: Paint it Black - Rolling Stones Emperor's Children - Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson Iron Warriors: Ironman - Black Sabbath Thousand Sons: I Fought the Law - the Clash Nightlords: Thunderstuck AC/DC World Eaters: Freak on a Leash - Korn Word Bearers: Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Marines Death Guard: Zombie - the Cranberries Alpha...