Skip to main content

Da Boyz

My LGS just started a new Warhammer 40k league and I was torn on which army I should play.

I've been in love with "assemble painting" lately and I've been disassembling models to paint the individual parts and reassemble them when I'm done. I have been carefully removing guns and backpacks, riders, and turrets so that I have an easier time of getting a nice even coat of paint and washes on the model. This process has also left new models, like my Ad Mech Skitarii, just sitting in piles waiting to get painted; and unfortunately unplayable.

When I started playing miniature games, I would literally buy models the same day I was going to play them. I had a pair of needle-nosed pliers in my army/tackle box to bend the tabs on metal models and plastic models were mostly one or two pieces and I would slap them together minutes before I played.

With so many of my armies just in components, I didn't have a lot of options on what I could play in the league. I watched a battle report from TableTop Tactics that featured an Ork army similar to mine and I decided to break out my greenskins after nearly a decade of being in the box. They were my first 40k army and are covered in seams and sloppy paint jobs but they still hold a special place in my heart.

I got my first two games in after work Monday and Wednesday. With so much rust and dust, I've had a little trouble with my Death Skull tribe and my first two games in the league have been losses. They have been good, close games but still two "Ls" on my record. The other players in the league have enjoyed seeing my "ancient" "heavy metal" army though. They laugh at the 3-pounds of lead in my dreadnaughts...

My army was built before Lootas were available and I think they will be next purchase if I decide to expand on my boyz. The amount of fire they can put out is amazing and I think they're fairly under-rated in the current meta.

However, I have decided that I'm going to try to limit my painting and focus on my 30k Salamanders and 40k Mechcanicus for the time being so I can start playing them sooner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ork Mekboy Conversion

My Stompa needs a Mekboy to follow it around, so I made this simple conversion from my bits box. Since the GW model is out of stock,  I could only find a mek boy for $60 on eBay and this hobby is expensive enough. Besides, I think he looks cooler than the GW stock model, but let me know what you think!  #warhammercommunity #orks40k #orks #28mm #Warhammer40k #waaagh #dakka #conversion

Goblin Hobbies Stamping Kit First Attempt

I recently purchased the Goblin Hobbies Stampin' Kit after seeing the ads and how-to videos online. Brent from Goobertown Hobbies made it look super easy and I thought this could be the answer to painting clean Lamenters shoulder pads and eliminating the need for decals on other models. When the kit arrived, I gleefully started stamping some paper napkins in my kitchen. My early stamps weren't that great, but it was on paper and I was recklessly splogging nail polish everywhere so I wasn't worried about neatness or finesse or my success. After watching a few more tutorials and some nail art tutorials, I made some earnest attempts to make some new battleshock counters for my Blood Angels. This is how it went.  As you can see, I didn't get the same awesome results as the showcase videos. I fiddled sounds for about an hour until the acetone fumes got to me, and despite my best efforts, I wasn't getting clean prints, even on these flat wooden counters.  Obviously, I str...

Warhammer 40k Army Theme Songs

Ever since I was a wee lad first dipping my toes into miniature wargaming, I've always "sung along" while I played. While some players jiggle their dice, some pull their tape measure out and let it drop back in, but I've always had background music in my head and I tunelessly hum songs that match the armies on the table to the current events.  I'm also a big baseball fan and my friends and I would discuss our "walkup music" - the song that gets played over the stadium when you walk up to bat. Wrestlers have it. Comedians have it. James Bond has it. Why not Warhammer 40k? Here are a few of my ideas: Sons of Horus: Paint it Black - Rolling Stones Emperor's Children - Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson Iron Warriors: Ironman - Black Sabbath Thousand Sons: I Fought the Law - the Clash Nightlords: Thunderstuck AC/DC World Eaters: Freak on a Leash - Korn Word Bearers: Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Marines Death Guard: Zombie - the Cranberries Alpha...