Skip to main content

Age of Stryfe - Unification Wars

On Olde Eyrth,

In the Age of Stryfe

Puppets cut their strings,

To sacrifice the consumption of speculation.

 

One of my favorite aspects of Warhammer 40k is the narrative surrounding the vague history of man that takes place between the present and the current events of the 41st Millennium. Fans who read the first half of the rulebook(s) know a few of the highlights of how mankind ended up in the far-flung future where there is only war, but there are considerable gaps in knowledge. Canonically, even the citizens of the 41st century don’t know how they got there, and the missing history is very much part of the “fluff” within the game itself.  The burning search for knowledge is the motivation for many characters, battles, and wars within the game.

 

Many of the well-known mysteries are left intentionally nebulous so that game players can create their own story and add to the vast universe of the game’s setting. Plots like the origins and fates of the two missing Primarchs, what’s buried below the surface of Mars, and the true purpose of the Blackstone Fortresses have left fans speculating and craving more of this hidden knowledge. Games Workshop greatly expanded the game’s future-history by expanding the Horus Heresy era with new versions of the game and an excellent series of novels and short stories but these elements have also created more questions and added new layers to the scant information that already exists.

 

Age of strife

Personally, one of my favorite eras is the so-called Age of Strife that preceded and endured during the Unification Wars on Terra. These are the days when the Emperor of Mankind mustered an army of Thunder Warriors to fought tin-pot warlords and techno barbarians in an effort to bring humanity back together under his rule across the galaxy.

 

Man, do I love this fluff. I love the ideas for converted models. I love that there’s a lot of room for any hobbyist to make their mark on the game, so I’ve decided to focus the coming months on building a Thunder Warriors killteam (perhaps an army) and making several gangs/squads led by the known characters of the era, like Narthan Dume, and the Nordyc clans.

 

Playwrights of old would typically praise their muse in the opening passages of a work and I would be remiss if I didn’t mention a few of the inspirations for my new project.

 

First and foremost, John Blanche, artist and designer who may have the most influence on the aesthetic of any version of Warhammer.

Ex Profunis who celebrates #Inq28 and #Inquisimunda.

28Mag and their followers who forge narratives through miniature wargames.

Instagram posters:

@Hieronymus_max and #Turnip28

@therealbrokenfingers

@gdbmakesweirdthings

@Migsula

@Accipiternidum

The Black Library with the novel of, “The Outcast Dead” and short story “Dreams of Unity.”

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ork Mekboy Conversion

My Stompa needs a Mekboy to follow it around, so I made this simple conversion from my bits box. Since the GW model is out of stock,  I could only find a mek boy for $60 on eBay and this hobby is expensive enough. Besides, I think he looks cooler than the GW stock model, but let me know what you think!  #warhammercommunity #orks40k #orks #28mm #Warhammer40k #waaagh #dakka #conversion

Goblin Hobbies Stamping Kit First Attempt

I recently purchased the Goblin Hobbies Stampin' Kit after seeing the ads and how-to videos online. Brent from Goobertown Hobbies made it look super easy and I thought this could be the answer to painting clean Lamenters shoulder pads and eliminating the need for decals on other models. When the kit arrived, I gleefully started stamping some paper napkins in my kitchen. My early stamps weren't that great, but it was on paper and I was recklessly splogging nail polish everywhere so I wasn't worried about neatness or finesse or my success. After watching a few more tutorials and some nail art tutorials, I made some earnest attempts to make some new battleshock counters for my Blood Angels. This is how it went.  As you can see, I didn't get the same awesome results as the showcase videos. I fiddled sounds for about an hour until the acetone fumes got to me, and despite my best efforts, I wasn't getting clean prints, even on these flat wooden counters.  Obviously, I str...

Warhammer 40k Army Theme Songs

Ever since I was a wee lad first dipping my toes into miniature wargaming, I've always "sung along" while I played. While some players jiggle their dice, some pull their tape measure out and let it drop back in, but I've always had background music in my head and I tunelessly hum songs that match the armies on the table to the current events.  I'm also a big baseball fan and my friends and I would discuss our "walkup music" - the song that gets played over the stadium when you walk up to bat. Wrestlers have it. Comedians have it. James Bond has it. Why not Warhammer 40k? Here are a few of my ideas: Sons of Horus: Paint it Black - Rolling Stones Emperor's Children - Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson Iron Warriors: Ironman - Black Sabbath Thousand Sons: I Fought the Law - the Clash Nightlords: Thunderstuck AC/DC World Eaters: Freak on a Leash - Korn Word Bearers: Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Marines Death Guard: Zombie - the Cranberries Alpha...