Skip to main content

Tournament Recap

A couple of weeks ago, my buddy Kyle and I traveled to Wichita for the the 2025 Flying Monkey GT.

Warhammer 40k blood angels army


I hurriedly painted my retro Blod Angels to the tournament minimum. I haven't done that in ages and, frankly, I was really disappointed in my presentation. I know a lot of gamers don't care for the crafting side of the hobby, but I take a lot of pride in my army, even if I'm not a great painter. 

For the tournament, I didn't have a lot of practice games with the BAngels beforehand. I thought my experience with other Space Marines would carry me through, but I constantly forgot my rules, strats, etc and I was a little embarrassed and kept apologizing to my opponents.


I won my first two games against Genestealer Cults and Dark Angels, but lost to Black Templars in the third round. In the fourth round, I ran into a World Eaters army and I didn't stand a chance against that list. I really don't know how a regular marine army can beat them...



Then I lost to Chaos Knights, also leaving me stumped as how my army could beat them. The full might of my entire shooting phase and about 25-percent of of my elite close combat did not take down a single knight. 



In the final round, I played against an Ultramarines player I faced in the last round in last year's tournament. (I stole a victory from him in the last turn whilst his son watched...) Great guy and we had chatted in between previous rounds. For the last game, he told me how he's in line for comeback player if he wins our matchup. The prize was a box of Space Wolves that his son wants... so I played him very softly, letting him sneak away with the win and a box of Wolves for his kid.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ork Mekboy Conversion

My Stompa needs a Mekboy to follow it around, so I made this simple conversion from my bits box. Since the GW model is out of stock,  I could only find a mek boy for $60 on eBay and this hobby is expensive enough. Besides, I think he looks cooler than the GW stock model, but let me know what you think!  #warhammercommunity #orks40k #orks #28mm #Warhammer40k #waaagh #dakka #conversion

Goblin Hobbies Stamping Kit First Attempt

I recently purchased the Goblin Hobbies Stampin' Kit after seeing the ads and how-to videos online. Brent from Goobertown Hobbies made it look super easy and I thought this could be the answer to painting clean Lamenters shoulder pads and eliminating the need for decals on other models. When the kit arrived, I gleefully started stamping some paper napkins in my kitchen. My early stamps weren't that great, but it was on paper and I was recklessly splogging nail polish everywhere so I wasn't worried about neatness or finesse or my success. After watching a few more tutorials and some nail art tutorials, I made some earnest attempts to make some new battleshock counters for my Blood Angels. This is how it went.  As you can see, I didn't get the same awesome results as the showcase videos. I fiddled sounds for about an hour until the acetone fumes got to me, and despite my best efforts, I wasn't getting clean prints, even on these flat wooden counters.  Obviously, I str...

Warhammer 40k Army Theme Songs

Ever since I was a wee lad first dipping my toes into miniature wargaming, I've always "sung along" while I played. While some players jiggle their dice, some pull their tape measure out and let it drop back in, but I've always had background music in my head and I tunelessly hum songs that match the armies on the table to the current events.  I'm also a big baseball fan and my friends and I would discuss our "walkup music" - the song that gets played over the stadium when you walk up to bat. Wrestlers have it. Comedians have it. James Bond has it. Why not Warhammer 40k? Here are a few of my ideas: Sons of Horus: Paint it Black - Rolling Stones Emperor's Children - Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson Iron Warriors: Ironman - Black Sabbath Thousand Sons: I Fought the Law - the Clash Nightlords: Thunderstuck AC/DC World Eaters: Freak on a Leash - Korn Word Bearers: Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Marines Death Guard: Zombie - the Cranberries Alpha...