Skip to main content

Space Marines - "Ushering" in a New Chapter

I've grown a little bored with my White Scars. They're hard to paint and I get a little anxiety when I think about how many bikes I have left to paint. Plus, they've lost a little of their punch in the new Space Marine codex because they don't receive the extra bonus to their jink save.

But you know who does get that extra bit of cover save? Raven Guard. At least in the first turn...

One of the radio plays I'm in this year is "Fall of the House of Usher" by Edgar Allan Poe. Last year's radio play featured three Poe stories, "Cask of Amontillado," "Tell-tale Heart," and "The Black Cat" so I have had a steady diet of gothic imagery from Poe that obviously inspired the Raven Guard. In fact, I have named my Blood Angel dreads after a few Poe characters and I've thought of painting a standard after the Montresor family crest from "Cask."

While at rehearsal (and when my roles are not being rehearsed) I've daydreamed some conversion ideas, army lists, and paint schemes. I think I'm going to use some high elf feathers as a kind of purity seal...

I like fluffy lists and I can't think of a more Raven Guard centric formation that the uber-powerful "Skyhammer Annihilation Force."
Obviously, the assault troops are well within theme and adding drop pods to dev squads makes them feel more in character as well. Adding the Raven Guard rule that jump pack units get to reroll wounds on their hammer of wrath hits really makes this a very attractive formation to field.

Best of all, I find that black is a fun color to paint.

Since a lot of my Scars only have little paint on top of white primer, repainting them won't be a problem. I've never really painted very pale/white skin before, but I don't really see that as a problem. In fact, painting everything in black and white might be a cool look.

Converting my Scars to Ravens seems like an easy swap and an upgrade in tactics. Win-win.

For my 30k Alpha Legion, I purchased a Sicaran Relic tank and assembled it this weekend.

Normally, there's a little bit of flash to scape and sand but this model was very clean. However, I did have a few warped pieces. The baseplate on the main hull was a little off kilter and the two autocannons were less than straight.


The nice thing is, those problems are easily fixed. I microwaved a mug of water for two minutes, gave the piece a quick bath, then gently bent them back into proper shape. The base plate was easy but the guns took two dips in hot water to get it right.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ork Mekboy Conversion

My Stompa needs a Mekboy to follow it around, so I made this simple conversion from my bits box. Since the GW model is out of stock,  I could only find a mek boy for $60 on eBay and this hobby is expensive enough. Besides, I think he looks cooler than the GW stock model, but let me know what you think!  #warhammercommunity #orks40k #orks #28mm #Warhammer40k #waaagh #dakka #conversion

Goblin Hobbies Stamping Kit First Attempt

I recently purchased the Goblin Hobbies Stampin' Kit after seeing the ads and how-to videos online. Brent from Goobertown Hobbies made it look super easy and I thought this could be the answer to painting clean Lamenters shoulder pads and eliminating the need for decals on other models. When the kit arrived, I gleefully started stamping some paper napkins in my kitchen. My early stamps weren't that great, but it was on paper and I was recklessly splogging nail polish everywhere so I wasn't worried about neatness or finesse or my success. After watching a few more tutorials and some nail art tutorials, I made some earnest attempts to make some new battleshock counters for my Blood Angels. This is how it went.  As you can see, I didn't get the same awesome results as the showcase videos. I fiddled sounds for about an hour until the acetone fumes got to me, and despite my best efforts, I wasn't getting clean prints, even on these flat wooden counters.  Obviously, I str...

Warhammer 40k Army Theme Songs

Ever since I was a wee lad first dipping my toes into miniature wargaming, I've always "sung along" while I played. While some players jiggle their dice, some pull their tape measure out and let it drop back in, but I've always had background music in my head and I tunelessly hum songs that match the armies on the table to the current events.  I'm also a big baseball fan and my friends and I would discuss our "walkup music" - the song that gets played over the stadium when you walk up to bat. Wrestlers have it. Comedians have it. James Bond has it. Why not Warhammer 40k? Here are a few of my ideas: Sons of Horus: Paint it Black - Rolling Stones Emperor's Children - Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson Iron Warriors: Ironman - Black Sabbath Thousand Sons: I Fought the Law - the Clash Nightlords: Thunderstuck AC/DC World Eaters: Freak on a Leash - Korn Word Bearers: Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Marines Death Guard: Zombie - the Cranberries Alpha...