Sunday, August 31, 2014

Removing Gaps From Games Workshop Bikes

There's a new Warhammer 40k League starting soon at my local game shop and it's motivated me to continue work on my growing White Scar army.

Since I have about 3 dozen bikes to assemble, I was experimenting with new ways to fill those pesky gaps you see on a lot of Space Marine bikes. The process is pretty simple and I thought I'd share my technique that helps save some time glueing models together so you can get to the painting table, then gaming table even faster. You won't need any pastes, expensive green stuff, or putty.



After I assemble the bike with plastic glue, I give the gaps and good standing so the edges are flush. Next, I use more plastic glue as a "weld" and run a line of glue over the seams. Since the plastic glue melts the model to create a bond, the halves of the bike are fused together and the glue runs into the seams, filling any gaps.

Make sure to let the model dry completely before moving onto the next step.








Next, I re-sand all of the seams and file off the excess glue. Since the glue has dried, it files right off and leaves a nice, filled in gap that is nice and smooth and bonded tight as if it was molded that way.








After all of the sanding is done, the model is ready to be primed and painted. This has saved me so much time and money versus sanding, using green stuff, and sanding more. It's also far more effective than liquid green stuff.

Now your bikes will look like they rolled off the show room floor as they knock your opponent off the table top!

Friday, August 22, 2014

Bolt Action Molds

I picked up another blister pack of Early War British troops to add to my growing army. Normally, the models are well inspected before being sent off to market with just a little flash that needs to be sanded off. However, this blister had two models with some filled in neck holes.

The Early War Brit BA models come with separate heads on a sprue that have long neck stalks that allow gamers to select from 10 different heads and have them face in a variety of directions. A couple of models in this blister had filled in neck holes that required a bit of extra trimming and sanding to get the head to sit properly on the models shoulders.

It's not that big of a deal, except that I managed to glue my fingers to the model while holding it in place and waiting for the glue to set. Yar.

Friday, August 8, 2014

New Objective Markers!

Here are some homemade objective markers I made for 40k (or any other mini game I happen to be playing.)

I found mosaic glass tiles at Michael's craft store and thought they would make awesome obelisk tokens in the style of 2001: A Space Odyssey. I shouldn't say, "homemade" because  I simply glued them to 40mm Games Workshop bases and added a little bit of flock.

It's a simple idea and I think they look great. A few of them even have a bit of metallic sheen.

The "2001" theme pretty much gives me license to sci-fi up any game. They could be energy portals, power stones, warp stones that randomly happen to rectangular-cubes, fuel cells, or just mysterious obelisks that appear to confound those who find them.