Wednesday, July 16, 2014


Here's my lone painted figure from Bolt Action. Hopefully I'll have more troops painted soon for him to boss about.

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Review: Army Painter Tools - Files!

Somehow, I managed to lose my round, needle file. It was my favorite file and I used it on just about every model I own to clean away flash and sand down mold lines. The sharp tip and round body could reach any nook and cranny on a model and it worked great on plastic, metal, and resin. It could fix anything and I really miss it.

To replace it, I purchased a three-pack of angled files from Army Painter. The store didn't have any needle files on hand, but I thought I might give these a try. As you can see in the photo, the files are "L" shaped and I've never used a file like this before. There was a "flat" two sided file, a sharp wedge-shaped file, and a wide-angled file.

On the same shopping trip, I also picked up a blister pack of metal British Combat Engineers and Flame Thrower from Bolt Action and thought they would make a good test subjects for my new files.

After fumbling around quite a bit trying to figure out how to hold these correctly, I have to admit that I never really got the hang of it. I worked on five models but the files just didn't feel right in my hand. I've always used straight files and these angled files felt like I was trying to sand down mold likes with a hockey stick or golf club.

The files themselves are really well made though and the teeth have great texture and will probably hold up to lifetime of sanding. The product is obviously well made and the only real problem I have is my own stubbornness and inability to adjust to a new kind of file.

There are a few situations where these will come in hand and I'll certainly keep them in my arsenal, but I'm going to keep an eye out for another needle file.

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Bolt Action Web Sites

There are a handful useful Bolt Action Web sites out there, but here are a couple I enjoy reading.

First is the the Demo Gamers. They have an infectious way of writing battle reports and blog entries that makes me want to play more and write more about my games.

Another useful site is There you can build just about any Bolt Action army list you need to play a game. It uses simple check boxes to generate an army list, with all of the options so don't have to do any math, and it creates an easy to read army list. I haven't tried it on my phone yet, but that would be super handy for casual play and pick up games (not that Bolt Action lists are difficult to assemble.)

Even though my army was not painted, I couldn't wait any longer to play with my early war Brits so my buddy Russ and I duked it out on the field of battle this past weekend.

As you can see in the picture, I used the cool battle mat from Frontline Gaming to cover our 6x4 table and added a bunch of yet-to-be-painted houses and buildings from Plasticville to set the scene.

We played two quick 500 point games and I had hot dice in both games. Unfortunately for Russ, I also had great draws from the bag when it came to unit selection.

I won't go into great detail, but I won both games. In both instances, my regular infantry had a hard time wounding Russ's veteran Germans, but with enough pin markers, even the best troops have a hard time passing leadership tests and I kept the German advance in check.

My MVP would go to either my FOO or my Bren carrier with two Bren LMGs. When my FOO called in the artillery, I caused lots of casualties and added 6 pin markers in both games (hot dice.) The Bren carrier also hit quite often, adding pin markers all over the field to keep the Germans from doing much. I also fielded a mortar, probably for the last time. Neither of us had much luck with them and they seem to be a waste of points.

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Mustering troops for Bolt Action

Recently, I've been working on my Bolt Action British early war "Tommies" and getting them ready for war. I'm very close to getting my models on the table for a game and I've been pouring over the rules. (Too many games leaves me with a bunch of mixed-up rule sets in my head...)

When we ordered our armies, my pal Russ also put in an order for some MDF bases for us to use instead of trying to track down GW bases or use the flat style Warlord bases. The MDF bases are nice, light, and have a pleasant smell of burned wood from the laser cutting- not to mention inexpensive.

Before I even took a model out of the package, I was concerned about the little "hump" the Warlord metal minis might produce from the model's base but I've been pleasantly surprised how little you notice after adding some rock, sand and other materials. The rough battlefield I'd like to put on my troops is a perfect camouflage to hide any raised areas or sharp edges.

After filing down flash and seams on the model, I use a model/superglue to adhere it to the base. After that's dried, I spread a layer of PVA glue all over the wood base and the raised base on the actual model (if it has one.) You can see the model in the foreground needs to have his glue spread around before I add rock.

Next, I add a couple of "large" stones, then a few medium size grains of rock, then finish off with fine sand. By working in the order of, least to most, I feel the stone sit securely in the glue and will not flake off in the future.

Then, I give it all a base coat of primer, in this case, it'll be black.