Skip to main content

Have 40k, Will Travel

Later this summer I'll be traveling to Austin, Texas for the 2015 Wargames Con.

This event is now going to be run by the fine folks at Front Line Gaming and is now part of the ITC circuit.

While I would love to travel to more 40k tourney's, it can be a bit pricey. I'm able to go to Texas because I can stay with my sister and cash in my airline mileage point to score free plane tickets for my wife and myself.

However, I'm trying to find a way to make it LVO this November, and perhaps the BAO.



For my army, I think I'll bring my Grey Knights as my primary army. I'm a bit stuck on what I should bring for my allies - because you're not cool if you don't bring a second formation anymore.

The list I've been toying around with in the local 40k League looks something like this:

Librarian
10 Strike Squad - Halberd, Thunder Hammer, Psycannon (usually combat squaded)
10 Strike Squad - Halberd, Thunder Hammer, Psycannon (usually combat squaded)
7 Terminators - Halberd, Thunder Hammer, Psycannon
3 Dreadknights - (or sometimes 2 DKs and a Storm Raven)

I've had fairly good success with this list because I've got enough objective secured models that can boost themselves into monstrous creature killing machines and the Dreadknights can teleport to any "X star" threat my opponent brings and either take it out or tie it up for a long time.

That leaves about 350 points to fill out.

Here's what I'm considering:

1. More Grey Knights!
Make the Termies Paladins and add Drago. This would give me another teleporting unit that can tank almost anything. Almost.

2. Blood Angels
I'd have to fiddle with some of the Grey Knight points, but I'd like to get a couple of BA squads in drop pods to roast scouting units, bikers, or pesky drones. A Librarian Dread and a Furioso in drop pods could be nasty too.

3. White Scars
Honestly, I'd like to take White Scars as my primary army and just run bikes with gravity guns all over the place but I don't think I can get my army painted up in time. A Captain on a bike, with a command squad on bikes sporting storm shields is one of my favorite "stars" and I might be able to get enough painted between now and the tourney to play this concept. I could also bring Drago and add some Dev Centurions to follow in the footsteps of some other power gamers.

4. Imperial Knights
I'm ashamed to say that I have two Imperial Knights still in their boxes... I can probably fudge points to make a three Dreadknight, 2 Imperial Knight army that would be nasty, however, I wouldn't be playing to take objectives, I'd just trying to table my opponent. A single Imperial Knight would be nasty too - and would work great both offensively and defensively.

5. Astra Militarium
Adding AMs or Imperial Guard to my Grey Knight army worked great in the previous league, especially against hoard armies like Orks, but I'm not sure it has enough punch to knock out an army of heavy-weights. The guard to give me access to Hydras, or make taking a defense line feasible, so I can potentially weather the flying Tyrant lists but it just doesn't feel competitive enough in my brainstorming.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Space Marine Armorium Cherub

Out of all of the horrors in the Warhammer 40k universe, the cherubs creep me out the most... It's one of the most grimdark things in the universe.  #miniaturepainting #paintingwarhammer #grimdark #warhammercommunity #armoriumcherub #spacemarines #astartes #adeptusastartes #new40k

Warhammer 40k Primarch Rumors

There's are a couple of rumors floating around from Games Workshop about new Warhammer 40k rules and models releases; as well as major changes to the fluff. Rumor 1: All of the Primarchs will return, including the dead. Rumor 2: One of the traitor Primarchs will become a loyalist and one of the Imperial loyalists will become a traitor. I got into a discussion with some people on a thread on Spiky Bits' Facebook page about it and here are my theories. The Emperor will briefly return, only to be killed again. Once he finally dies, all of the pysker souls he's been consuming on the golden throne will coalesce and bring all of the dead primarchs back to life. The missing primarachs will rush back to Holy Terra like moths to a flame. Of course, this means both Horus and Sanguinius have returned as well. Horus will see the results of his actions and will repent his wicked ways, blame Ebrus/Logar and the Word Bearers for tricking him into corruption and turn to the sid

RTT Tournament results!

  I played in a small RTT in Holton today and went 2-1, finishing 5th and beat one of the top players in our conference! (I sqeaked by with a 1-point victory...) I may have been able to beat my second opponent if had I made better selections for secondary objectives. In hindsight, I could have easily won but no matter how I plan for games on paper, there's no better teacher than experience.  I'm tuning up my list for the Bugeater Grand Tournament next month in Omaha and I think I'm getting close to my final list. It's not anything really nasty, but it's just solid, durable units. I'm digging it.