Skip to main content

Midwest Conquest Recap

This past weekend I traveled to Kansas City for the awesome Midwest Conquest Warhammer 40k Grand Tournament. I never had so much fun losing. It's a great tournament and I had more fun this year than last year but I fared far worse on the table top.

Here's my army in a nutshell:
2 CADS
1 Chaos Lord on Juggernaut
1 D-Thirster - Bloodthirster
3 Units of Cultists
1 Unit of Bloodletters
4 Heldrakes with baleflamers
1 Heldrake with autocanon

My army on parade.










 D-Thirster ready for action.
Dark Prince Adam.
The drakes! I wanted my army to look like a 70s album cover.



















My plan was to let the heldrakes do most of the heavy lifting. They can zip around the field, go into hover mode to snag objectives, torch Marines and melt through their armor, deny jinks to Dark Angels and various Eldar... the army looks great on paper and fared well in the few test games I was able to get in but did not do well against tournament play.



 As I mentioned before, I had a blast. There were 70 players in the 40k GT and surprisingly, there weren't a lot of Marines or Eldar... However, I nearly faced every Necron player who entered - coincidentally, the worst match-up for my army.

They say that speed kills, but apparently the best defense is resurrection. I played 3 Necron armies and lost to all three because I couldn't kill anything. The dang things wouldn't melt with all of my fire. In the battle of space robots vs space dragons, space robots won.

My games went:
1. Win vs Necrons - Great player and I skunked him in a win on the last turn by snagging objectives but his army was otherwise intact.
2. Loss vs Dark Eldar. - The guy charged top of turn 1 with a large talos unit. I told him he couldn't and he said he could... I dug through the rule book but couldn't find the damn scout USR quickly so I let him get away with it.
3. Loss vs Necrons. Another great player who had a Christmas themed Necron army. I could not roll to wound to save my life - or end his.
4. Loss vs. Space Wolves. Another nice player who fielded a nasty Curse of the Wolfen list. I nearly tabled him but he had a ton of points in the victory conditions and made an impossible amount of storm shield saves.
5. Loss vs. Necrons. Necrons, again. Also, another Christmas themed Necron army, complete with Lego heads and lights! I shouldn't complain because he was a lot of fun to play but again, I couldn't get past those Necron resurrection rolls.
6. Win vs. Ork. I played my friend Warren and his Ork trukk and biker mob. Warren was the only Ork player in attendance... I haven't played him in a couple of years and I think the last time we played, he beat me in a 500 point game. We had a lot of fun and I'm glad I got to play him.


























I ran into this sketchy looking Bender unit. I think he stole my wallet... Perhaps he was working for the Necrons.

 Christmas themed Necron army #1. The Santa Crons.
Christmas themed Necron army #2 - with Lego heads and working lights!










Again, I truly had a blast getting my ass kicked. I had a lot of compliments on my army and everyone said they were afraid to play me... but my army folded pretty easily with the heat was on. I had a couple people vote for me for top paint too, which was very flattering and probably my proudest moment of the tournament. 

 Next weekend it's off of Omaha for the Bugeater GT. I thought about bringing my Daemonkin but I think they are going to sit this one out and I'm going to bring my Grey Knights and Roboute Guilliman ... if I can get Robby G. painted in time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Space Marine Armorium Cherub

Out of all of the horrors in the Warhammer 40k universe, the cherubs creep me out the most... It's one of the most grimdark things in the universe.  #miniaturepainting #paintingwarhammer #grimdark #warhammercommunity #armoriumcherub #spacemarines #astartes #adeptusastartes #new40k

Warhammer 40k Primarch Rumors

There's are a couple of rumors floating around from Games Workshop about new Warhammer 40k rules and models releases; as well as major changes to the fluff. Rumor 1: All of the Primarchs will return, including the dead. Rumor 2: One of the traitor Primarchs will become a loyalist and one of the Imperial loyalists will become a traitor. I got into a discussion with some people on a thread on Spiky Bits' Facebook page about it and here are my theories. The Emperor will briefly return, only to be killed again. Once he finally dies, all of the pysker souls he's been consuming on the golden throne will coalesce and bring all of the dead primarchs back to life. The missing primarachs will rush back to Holy Terra like moths to a flame. Of course, this means both Horus and Sanguinius have returned as well. Horus will see the results of his actions and will repent his wicked ways, blame Ebrus/Logar and the Word Bearers for tricking him into corruption and turn to the sid

RTT Tournament results!

  I played in a small RTT in Holton today and went 2-1, finishing 5th and beat one of the top players in our conference! (I sqeaked by with a 1-point victory...) I may have been able to beat my second opponent if had I made better selections for secondary objectives. In hindsight, I could have easily won but no matter how I plan for games on paper, there's no better teacher than experience.  I'm tuning up my list for the Bugeater Grand Tournament next month in Omaha and I think I'm getting close to my final list. It's not anything really nasty, but it's just solid, durable units. I'm digging it.