Skip to main content

Radio silence and New Space Marine Chapter Conversion

Since switching to my new job with the State, I've had little to no time off for gaming, painting or anything much related to my hobbies. Some days are literally 4:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. with little time for eating or even bathroom breaks. Needless to say, I've not had much time to blog either and I apologize for the silence.

My new job does have a lot of travel time - by plane or car - and that does give me some time to daydream and I have managed to scribble down an idea for a naval/amphibious based Space Marine chapter in the style of a fan Wiki.

I call them, the Sea Wolves!

I've started making a chapter master model from the generic Space Marine Captain. I've given him a peg leg and converted his weapon into a trident-sword. Let me know what you guys think!

warhammer 40k chapter master sea wolves
Peg leg conversion.

trident sea wolves
Relic Blade/power sword trident conversion.




New Chapter Creation: Sea Wolves aka Aquamarines

Founded: 27th Founding – Ultima Founding
Successors of: Unknown
Chapter Master:
Home World: Fleet Based
Fortress: The Ark Imperial
Allies: Imperial Guard
Size: 1,000 Marines
Specialty: Mechanized Assault
Battle Cry: Give no quarter!
Motto: Per Terra Mare Aeram (Land, sea, and air!)

Colors: Teal and white

Overview:
The Sea Wolves are a codex compliant loyalist chapter of Space Marines who specialize in naval warfare and water-based assault founded during the 27th Founding, known as the “Ultima Founding.” The Chapter was specifically engineered for Marines to have an amphibious gill and lung system to quickly adapt to sea and land combat as well as webbed fingers and toes for added mobility in aquatic environments.

The Sea Wolves, often nicknamed Aquamarines for both their chapter colors and their focus on amphibious combat, are a highly mobile fleet-based Chapter that adhere to old Terran sailing customs and traditions. They are a prideful Chapter that adheres strictly to the Index Astartes with rigid formality but are prone to outbursts of anger when they feel they have been slighted or if their reputation has been shown disrespect. This has also bred a certain amount of superstition within the Chapter and those who do not follow protocol or rituals closely can be ostracized by their own Chapter. However, this behavior has the added benefit of creating a fierce loyalty to their commanders and fellow battle brothers.

Utilizing primarily lighting assault tactics, the Sea Wolves use a variety of mechanized combat craft to move into combat zones quickly and strike where opponents least expect. Small teams of Marines rapidly deploy into combat theaters from fast vehicles masking their approach by using intervening terrain and weather conditions to cover their approach and prefer to work in situations where enemy targets will have difficulty in responding to threats. This predilection for rapid deployment and lighting assault lead some Imperial officials to believe the Sea Wolves are a successor of either White Scars, Space Wolves, or even the Raven Guard chapters.

History
Founding:
The Sea Wolves

In the wake of the Abaddon the Despoiler’s 13th Black Crusade, the recently resurrected Ultramarines Primarch Roboute Guilliman launched his own Ultima Crusade and founded countless new Space Marine chapters constructed primarily of Primaris Space Marines, including the Sea Wolves.

Guilliman recognized the need for a chapter of Marines that could hold Imperial planets and resources that are primarily covered in aquatic conditions but can quickly adapt to traditional ground-based assaults. He requested that a strain of gene seed be engineered specifically to address the need for amphibious attack from Belisarius Cawl. Cawl created a new gene seed from an unrevealed Primarch to create soldiers with the desired physical traits.


Chapter Doctrine and Culture:

The Sea Wolves Chapter maintain a stringent chain of command and closely follow precepts of the Index Astartes. Sea Wolves rarely use informal names and always address their fellow brothers by rank and name or other honorifics earned during their service. Sea Wolf commanders are strict and do not tolerate insubordination among its ranks and will quickly punish lower ranking brothers who do not follow protocols; even in the most dire of situations.

The rigorous adherence to codes of conduct often leads other Imperial unit to think that the Sea Wolves are a humorless Chapter but the temperament of the battle brothers can vary from Company to Company and even squad to squad. Some “crews” are very informal and are more lax when it comes to appearance and personal behavior and can be quite loud and boisterous by Space Marine standards while other squads can be more solemn and maintain a high level of austerity.

Most Sea Wolves are relatively suppositious compared to other Space Marine chapters and often participate in Chapter-wide rituals for good fortune and warding off bad luck. Many Companies and ship crews have a good luck charm or trinket affixed to their ships or transports to bring good fortune. Others will sing songs, partake in a drink, or touch a holy relic and any misfortune suffered by a crew will be blamed on a lack of performing their ritual.

Recruitment:

When initially creating the Sea Wolves Chapter, Guillman drafted Neophyte candidates from the merchant class of the Rogue Trader fleets who already had an understanding of naval combat and took aspirants who had strong beliefs in the chain of command as-well-as members of royal Imperial families.

These Neophytes were then trained in standard Space Marine combat drill and were given additional training on amphibious assault tactics. Neophites must also pass a grueling rite of passage called, “The Long Voyage” before being full members of the Chapter. This arduous challenge tests the aspirant’s physical endurance while they are forced to demonstrate complex skills, including the mastery of traditional weapons and the ability to pilot and operate weapon systems onboard a variety of standard Imperial vehicles while withholding food, water, and sleep for weeks at a time. The actual length of “The Long Voyage” and the skills needed to pass are kept secret but those who pass describe the challenge as both physically and mentally taxing and rumors suggest that the test lasts for weeks or months. Even the augmented bodies of the Space Marines find this trial to be taxing and the success rate is rumored to be in the single digits.

Upon completion of, “The Long Voyage,” Sea Wolves often commemorate the event with ritual tattoos and a period celebration with crewmates before being assigned to their regular company assignments.

Home world:
The Sea Wolves are a fleet-based Chapter and do not count any single planet home. Instead, vessels in the Sea Wolves fleet gather in close proximity to their flag ship, “the Ark Imperial” in a constantly evolving flotilla.

Fortress Monastery:
The Gloriana-Class Battleship, “Ark Imperial” is the flagship of the Sea Wolves and serves as a Fortress Monastery. All ceremonial events such as promotions and

Chapter Organization:
The Sea Wolves are organized into a standard Space Marine chapter according to the Index Astartes. However, at each level of command in the Chapter has chosen to give themselves unique nick names and monikers. These names are often colorful and are a source of pride to the members. Such emphasis is given to these epithets that members will make flags, tattoos, slogans and bawdy songs to show their pride.

Chapter Badge:

The chapter badge of the Sea Wolves is a gold anchor.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ork Mekboy Conversion

My Stompa needs a Mekboy to follow it around, so I made this simple conversion from my bits box. Since the GW model is out of stock,  I could only find a mek boy for $60 on eBay and this hobby is expensive enough. Besides, I think he looks cooler than the GW stock model, but let me know what you think!  #warhammercommunity #orks40k #orks #28mm #Warhammer40k #waaagh #dakka #conversion

Goblin Hobbies Stamping Kit First Attempt

I recently purchased the Goblin Hobbies Stampin' Kit after seeing the ads and how-to videos online. Brent from Goobertown Hobbies made it look super easy and I thought this could be the answer to painting clean Lamenters shoulder pads and eliminating the need for decals on other models. When the kit arrived, I gleefully started stamping some paper napkins in my kitchen. My early stamps weren't that great, but it was on paper and I was recklessly splogging nail polish everywhere so I wasn't worried about neatness or finesse or my success. After watching a few more tutorials and some nail art tutorials, I made some earnest attempts to make some new battleshock counters for my Blood Angels. This is how it went.  As you can see, I didn't get the same awesome results as the showcase videos. I fiddled sounds for about an hour until the acetone fumes got to me, and despite my best efforts, I wasn't getting clean prints, even on these flat wooden counters.  Obviously, I str...

Warhammer 40k Army Theme Songs

Ever since I was a wee lad first dipping my toes into miniature wargaming, I've always "sung along" while I played. While some players jiggle their dice, some pull their tape measure out and let it drop back in, but I've always had background music in my head and I tunelessly hum songs that match the armies on the table to the current events.  I'm also a big baseball fan and my friends and I would discuss our "walkup music" - the song that gets played over the stadium when you walk up to bat. Wrestlers have it. Comedians have it. James Bond has it. Why not Warhammer 40k? Here are a few of my ideas: Sons of Horus: Paint it Black - Rolling Stones Emperor's Children - Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson Iron Warriors: Ironman - Black Sabbath Thousand Sons: I Fought the Law - the Clash Nightlords: Thunderstuck AC/DC World Eaters: Freak on a Leash - Korn Word Bearers: Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Marines Death Guard: Zombie - the Cranberries Alpha...