Skip to main content

Behold! The power of magnets!

There are many videos and blog posts about building better miniature storage solutions for painters and gamers. I have been using various Battlefoam transports and similar cases but they are expensive and can still cause minor damage from rubbing. The commercially available magnetic cases are awesome but come with a hefty price tag so decided to try my hand at making my own case.


You need:

A plastic box ($15 at Michaels)

Thin sheet metal and sheers ($10 each at Menards)

Glue (Already owned, but only $4.99)

1/4" by1/16" disc neodymium magnets. (100 for $5.99)

Ruler (Already owned if you're a gamer! I used an artists t-square.)

Step 1:


Measure the inside of your box. The usable dimensions for me were 12.5" x 15.5". I then used my t-square to draw that shape on the sheet metal. Also of note, my box is about 5.5" deep, plenty of height for a dreadnought standing up on a decorative base.

Step 2: Cut the sheet metal. Go slow. Pro tip: Don't completely close the snips when cutting because it will leave a nasty spur.

Step 3: Make sure your sheet metal fits in your case.


Step 4: Use plenty of glue to hold it in without splooging out of the sides. I used Gorilla glue and let it dry overnight with books pressing down on the sheet metal.



Step 5. Glue those neodymium magnets to your bases. I like to keep them in the center. Two of the 1/16" discs fits perfectly on the underside of GW bases. I used superglue and let it dry overnight with the model upside down so the glue won't fog the mini (even though it's on the bottom.)



Step 6: Load up and conquer your foes!



This box is handy to store all of your minis without any rubbing from foam cases, stacks easily for storage, and is loads less expensive than buying a case from a manufacturer. Plus, you have a little more hobby pride by making a DIY project. I plan on painting my case and adding some jungle like terrain to the inside so it'll be more of a display case.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ork Mekboy Conversion

My Stompa needs a Mekboy to follow it around, so I made this simple conversion from my bits box. Since the GW model is out of stock,  I could only find a mek boy for $60 on eBay and this hobby is expensive enough. Besides, I think he looks cooler than the GW stock model, but let me know what you think!  #warhammercommunity #orks40k #orks #28mm #Warhammer40k #waaagh #dakka #conversion

Goblin Hobbies Stamping Kit First Attempt

I recently purchased the Goblin Hobbies Stampin' Kit after seeing the ads and how-to videos online. Brent from Goobertown Hobbies made it look super easy and I thought this could be the answer to painting clean Lamenters shoulder pads and eliminating the need for decals on other models. When the kit arrived, I gleefully started stamping some paper napkins in my kitchen. My early stamps weren't that great, but it was on paper and I was recklessly splogging nail polish everywhere so I wasn't worried about neatness or finesse or my success. After watching a few more tutorials and some nail art tutorials, I made some earnest attempts to make some new battleshock counters for my Blood Angels. This is how it went.  As you can see, I didn't get the same awesome results as the showcase videos. I fiddled sounds for about an hour until the acetone fumes got to me, and despite my best efforts, I wasn't getting clean prints, even on these flat wooden counters.  Obviously, I str...

Warhammer 40k Army Theme Songs

Ever since I was a wee lad first dipping my toes into miniature wargaming, I've always "sung along" while I played. While some players jiggle their dice, some pull their tape measure out and let it drop back in, but I've always had background music in my head and I tunelessly hum songs that match the armies on the table to the current events.  I'm also a big baseball fan and my friends and I would discuss our "walkup music" - the song that gets played over the stadium when you walk up to bat. Wrestlers have it. Comedians have it. James Bond has it. Why not Warhammer 40k? Here are a few of my ideas: Sons of Horus: Paint it Black - Rolling Stones Emperor's Children - Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson Iron Warriors: Ironman - Black Sabbath Thousand Sons: I Fought the Law - the Clash Nightlords: Thunderstuck AC/DC World Eaters: Freak on a Leash - Korn Word Bearers: Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Marines Death Guard: Zombie - the Cranberries Alpha...