Skip to main content

Playtest Transylvania: Curses and Traitors


I was approached by the game creators to playtest an upcoming board game, "Transylvania: Curses & Traitors" at the Gatekeeper earlier this month. The co-creator drove up from Kansas City to show some of our local guys the game and get some feedback and I have to say, I was pretty impressed.


It's a steampunk horror game where players try to solve the curse of Transylvania or be turned into a monster (at which point you try to eat the other players.) The game is in late stage development and finished artwork and game pieces are being added to the game at a regular pace. I'm not sure they really needed any of our suggestions for game play, but I think Brandon and I tagged teamed on a suggestion for a re-roll rule that they liked and Scott managed to find a loophole in discarding objects. However, we broke the curve on play time by clocking in at 120+ minutes when most games last less than an hour!

Game play is solid. It's a tile building/exploring map game with some cool atmospheric mechanics like secret passages, clock towers, laboratories and haunted cemeteries. Players pick or randomly select character archetypes of various skill levels and travel around the board looking for clues to stop the curse of Transylvania. Of course, if you're bitten by a vampire or werewolf, or are exposed to a contagion and become a zombie, your goals change and you then start hunting the other players! I would only make one suggestion on how the player gets to allocate movement points and then completing multiple objectives but at this point, there aren't many tweaks left to be made and everything looks really good. The artwork is outstanding and the game moves pretty quickly.



The game developers hope to go to Kickstarter this spring and get funding and go into production. You can check them out at: WIBAI Games - Transylvania: Curses and Traitors

Another bonus of the playtest night; I got to hang out with my old buddy, Scott. It was like 1997 all over again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Warhammer 40k Primarch Rumors

There's are a couple of rumors floating around from Games Workshop about new Warhammer 40k rules and models releases; as well as major changes to the fluff. Rumor 1: All of the Primarchs will return, including the dead. Rumor 2: One of the traitor Primarchs will become a loyalist and one of the Imperial loyalists will become a traitor. I got into a discussion with some people on a thread on Spiky Bits' Facebook page about it and here are my theories. The Emperor will briefly return, only to be killed again. Once he finally dies, all of the pysker souls he's been consuming on the golden throne will coalesce and bring all of the dead primarchs back to life. The missing primarachs will rush back to Holy Terra like moths to a flame. Of course, this means both Horus and Sanguinius have returned as well. Horus will see the results of his actions and will repent his wicked ways, blame Ebrus/Logar and the Word Bearers for tricking him into corruption and turn to the sid

Turnip28 Miniature

  "Fine words butter no parsnips."

RTT Tournament results!

  I played in a small RTT in Holton today and went 2-1, finishing 5th and beat one of the top players in our conference! (I sqeaked by with a 1-point victory...) I may have been able to beat my second opponent if had I made better selections for secondary objectives. In hindsight, I could have easily won but no matter how I plan for games on paper, there's no better teacher than experience.  I'm tuning up my list for the Bugeater Grand Tournament next month in Omaha and I think I'm getting close to my final list. It's not anything really nasty, but it's just solid, durable units. I'm digging it.