Skip to main content

Refurbished Tanks

For my pre- and post- Heresy White Scars army, I've been refurbishing some old Space Marine Rhinos into other tanks.

This Predator was cobbled together from two different out-of-print rhino bodies. I needed a track set that didn't have the doors glued on so I could magnetize the sponsons for a variety of weapons.

I had a tan tank with no doors and a grey tank with the proper front hull so I carefully pried the tanks apart with an X-Acto chisel blade; and with a little sanding, I was able to re-purpose the treads and hulls into the configuration I needed.


Next, I added some plumbers putty into the tread doors, let it dry, then drilled out a hole for the magnet to rest. I glued on the metal bits to the hull and lined up the magnets for the sponsons. Once the glue is dry, I'll prime most of the tank white and the bolters black and start painting.

The second Rhino is being cobbled into an old Whirlwind. Other than gluing on the treads and metal bits, I don't need to do much conversion. I'll glue magnets to the missile launchers, but I won't have much to do with this model and it'll get a nice dose of primer soon.

Behind it, you can see a crusty Rhino. That was the tank that originally had the metal Predator bits attached. Getting the metal off that chassis was a chore. The previous owner had used a lot of plumbers putty and a generous amount of glue and I don't think I'll be able to do anything this hull except use it as a burned out wreck. I might be able to get two wrecked markers out of it if I'm crafty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ork Mekboy Conversion

My Stompa needs a Mekboy to follow it around, so I made this simple conversion from my bits box. Since the GW model is out of stock,  I could only find a mek boy for $60 on eBay and this hobby is expensive enough. Besides, I think he looks cooler than the GW stock model, but let me know what you think!  #warhammercommunity #orks40k #orks #28mm #Warhammer40k #waaagh #dakka #conversion

Goblin Hobbies Stamping Kit First Attempt

I recently purchased the Goblin Hobbies Stampin' Kit after seeing the ads and how-to videos online. Brent from Goobertown Hobbies made it look super easy and I thought this could be the answer to painting clean Lamenters shoulder pads and eliminating the need for decals on other models. When the kit arrived, I gleefully started stamping some paper napkins in my kitchen. My early stamps weren't that great, but it was on paper and I was recklessly splogging nail polish everywhere so I wasn't worried about neatness or finesse or my success. After watching a few more tutorials and some nail art tutorials, I made some earnest attempts to make some new battleshock counters for my Blood Angels. This is how it went.  As you can see, I didn't get the same awesome results as the showcase videos. I fiddled sounds for about an hour until the acetone fumes got to me, and despite my best efforts, I wasn't getting clean prints, even on these flat wooden counters.  Obviously, I str...

Warhammer 40k Army Theme Songs

Ever since I was a wee lad first dipping my toes into miniature wargaming, I've always "sung along" while I played. While some players jiggle their dice, some pull their tape measure out and let it drop back in, but I've always had background music in my head and I tunelessly hum songs that match the armies on the table to the current events.  I'm also a big baseball fan and my friends and I would discuss our "walkup music" - the song that gets played over the stadium when you walk up to bat. Wrestlers have it. Comedians have it. James Bond has it. Why not Warhammer 40k? Here are a few of my ideas: Sons of Horus: Paint it Black - Rolling Stones Emperor's Children - Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson Iron Warriors: Ironman - Black Sabbath Thousand Sons: I Fought the Law - the Clash Nightlords: Thunderstuck AC/DC World Eaters: Freak on a Leash - Korn Word Bearers: Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Marines Death Guard: Zombie - the Cranberries Alpha...