Skip to main content

Hobby Tool Review: Citadel Fine Detail Cutters

Citadel Hobby Clippers
If you're a hobby addict like I am, or if you have army ADHD like I do, you tend to spend a lot of time chopping, clipping, or gnawing bits of toy soldiers off of grey plastic sprues. When I first started playing miniature games, most models came in blister packs and you needed needle-nose pliers to bend foot tabs so they would stay in slotta bases. Sure, plastic models were available but if you bought them, you probably cut them off the sprues with an X-Acto knife. About the mid-90s I picked up my first pair of Citadel clippers and they have been faithfully freeing models from their plastic prisons for many years but they have become so dull that I was no longer getting clean cuts. So, I decided to splurge and buy a new pair of Citadel Fine Detail Clippers - which retail for $33 USD.


Holly surgical chainsaw, Batman!

Do you remember that first time you held an X-Acto knife in your hands? Do you remember feeling like you could cut through a car door because this was the sharpest object you've ever held? Using these clippers reminded me of that feeling.

The first thing I clipped was a Space Marine backpack and these things sliced and diced their way through the plastic with ease. These aren't just wire snippers, these clippers are two razor-sharp X-Acto blades with a pincer grip. I could probably shave with these things, they are that sharp.

Since I was used to muscling through with my old clippers, the Citadel clippers seemed rocket powered. I chewed through a box of marines in no-time and I was able to get close to the contact point and I saved a lot of time by not having to shave off burrs with my knife. I still filed down the seams and cut points with my files, but I estimate that these "cut" my working time by at least 10 to 20-percent.

My only real complaint is that the handles are really slick and could have used some extra tooling to form a texture grip or perhaps some rubber on the handles. My first few clipper jobs were a little precarious because my hands slid up and down the handles as I tried to get the blades into position and keep my digits out of the blades path.

There is a saying that floats around Games Workshop hobby products - "They are twice as good as anyone else, but cost twice as much as they should." While this may be true, I love these clippers and I recommend them to any gamer, even with the high price tag.

Also, I had a revelation recently. Space Marine "digital weapons" aren't just electronic, they go on your fingers... your digits. Digital-digital weapons.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ork Mekboy Conversion

My Stompa needs a Mekboy to follow it around, so I made this simple conversion from my bits box. Since the GW model is out of stock,  I could only find a mek boy for $60 on eBay and this hobby is expensive enough. Besides, I think he looks cooler than the GW stock model, but let me know what you think!  #warhammercommunity #orks40k #orks #28mm #Warhammer40k #waaagh #dakka #conversion

Goblin Hobbies Stamping Kit First Attempt

I recently purchased the Goblin Hobbies Stampin' Kit after seeing the ads and how-to videos online. Brent from Goobertown Hobbies made it look super easy and I thought this could be the answer to painting clean Lamenters shoulder pads and eliminating the need for decals on other models. When the kit arrived, I gleefully started stamping some paper napkins in my kitchen. My early stamps weren't that great, but it was on paper and I was recklessly splogging nail polish everywhere so I wasn't worried about neatness or finesse or my success. After watching a few more tutorials and some nail art tutorials, I made some earnest attempts to make some new battleshock counters for my Blood Angels. This is how it went.  As you can see, I didn't get the same awesome results as the showcase videos. I fiddled sounds for about an hour until the acetone fumes got to me, and despite my best efforts, I wasn't getting clean prints, even on these flat wooden counters.  Obviously, I str...

Warhammer 40k Army Theme Songs

Ever since I was a wee lad first dipping my toes into miniature wargaming, I've always "sung along" while I played. While some players jiggle their dice, some pull their tape measure out and let it drop back in, but I've always had background music in my head and I tunelessly hum songs that match the armies on the table to the current events.  I'm also a big baseball fan and my friends and I would discuss our "walkup music" - the song that gets played over the stadium when you walk up to bat. Wrestlers have it. Comedians have it. James Bond has it. Why not Warhammer 40k? Here are a few of my ideas: Sons of Horus: Paint it Black - Rolling Stones Emperor's Children - Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson Iron Warriors: Ironman - Black Sabbath Thousand Sons: I Fought the Law - the Clash Nightlords: Thunderstuck AC/DC World Eaters: Freak on a Leash - Korn Word Bearers: Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Marines Death Guard: Zombie - the Cranberries Alpha...