Skip to main content

Astral Claws Tournament Report

Today I played in a 1,500 point Rogue Trader style tournament and did very well. I brought my "Bastards of Badab" Astral Claws army and came in second by getting the most victory points.

I brought a Space Marine biker CAD, a Librarius Conclave all rolling on Telepathy, and a Sky Hammer Annihilation Force with 3 grav and multimeltas in the devastator squads. I switched from White Scars chapter tactics to Ultramarines recently and I'm glad I did. The doctrines, even though I only get to use each one once in this build, have been a big help because I don't need to put librarians with divination nearby.

If this had been a larger point game, I would have brought devastator centurions and because of the Ultramarines Chapter Tactics, I don't need to sink a lot of points into Tigurius. The conclave on bikes usually means that I can throw some sort of protection on the CentsDevs.

In my first battle, I played Eli and his Khorn Daemonkin.

It was Vanguard deployment and Purge the Alien scenario with the three regular secondary objectives. It was a fairly close game but I won by just a couple of points despite losing my Captain to Eli's warlord on a juggernaut in the last turn.


The drop pods from my Sky Hammer Annihilation force and the devastators were the "man of the match" and were just erasing units almost each turn.

In my second game, I played Chase and his nasty Necron decurion force. It was another Vanguard deployment with Deadlock Maelstrom and the Relic and the usual secondary objectives.

Chase's dice were hot all game, I didn't get invisibility, he stole the initiative, and the cards weren't very kind to me either. I don't think I made a single Feel No Pain roll on my command squad, and Chase didn't miss many resurrection rolls.

However, in the first turn, my dev squads dropped in and erased his warlord on a barge. I thought the day was mine but I don't think I was meant to win this game and the fickle hand of fate did me no favors for the rest of the game.

We played down to the wire and "dice down" was called in the bottom of turn 5 during the shooting phase. I was about to charge three Necron warriors that held the Relic with my Captain, Apothecary, and a Librarian on bike. I only needed another 2 minutes and to make a 4-inch charge to swing the battle in my favor, but I lost by 2 points in the end.


In my third game, I played Jordan and his Imperial Fists in a Tactical Escalation and Hammer and Anvil deployment.

Jordan went first and scored First Blood by wiping out a biker unit with an Avenger Gatling cannon on his Imperial Knight. I don't think that squad made a single armor save or Jink before being shot full of lead.


However, the rest of the game my dice were on fire. In my first turn, I knocked half the wounds off his Knight with grav weapons, took out a squad and put his Captain down to one wound and put a serious hurt on the rest of his army.

The battle was back and forth, but I kept getting good draws on my Maelstrom cards and the mobility of bikes and being able to grab objectives at will was earning me a ton of points.

Near the end of the game, Jordan's knight charged my Captain and I managed to dodge and not take a single wound from combat or stomps! In the next phase, my Captain and his power fist punched the Knight to death but took a D-explosion to the face when it went nuclear.

In the next turn, a drop pod made an impossible shot and plunked his Warlord Captain's last wound scoring me a point for Warlord kill and an maelstrom objective card. In the end I won 14-7 but I think if the game was scored by regular kill points, I would have lost.

I gave my gift card I won to my buddy to didn't do as well with his new Ork army. Hopefully he can pick up some reinforcements to fill out his list.

Next month is a 1,000 point-per-player team tournament. I don't have a partner yet, nor an army picked out, but I'm looking forward to it.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Space Marine Armorium Cherub

Out of all of the horrors in the Warhammer 40k universe, the cherubs creep me out the most... It's one of the most grimdark things in the universe.  #miniaturepainting #paintingwarhammer #grimdark #warhammercommunity #armoriumcherub #spacemarines #astartes #adeptusastartes #new40k

Warhammer 40k Primarch Rumors

There's are a couple of rumors floating around from Games Workshop about new Warhammer 40k rules and models releases; as well as major changes to the fluff. Rumor 1: All of the Primarchs will return, including the dead. Rumor 2: One of the traitor Primarchs will become a loyalist and one of the Imperial loyalists will become a traitor. I got into a discussion with some people on a thread on Spiky Bits' Facebook page about it and here are my theories. The Emperor will briefly return, only to be killed again. Once he finally dies, all of the pysker souls he's been consuming on the golden throne will coalesce and bring all of the dead primarchs back to life. The missing primarachs will rush back to Holy Terra like moths to a flame. Of course, this means both Horus and Sanguinius have returned as well. Horus will see the results of his actions and will repent his wicked ways, blame Ebrus/Logar and the Word Bearers for tricking him into corruption and turn to the sid

RTT Tournament results!

  I played in a small RTT in Holton today and went 2-1, finishing 5th and beat one of the top players in our conference! (I sqeaked by with a 1-point victory...) I may have been able to beat my second opponent if had I made better selections for secondary objectives. In hindsight, I could have easily won but no matter how I plan for games on paper, there's no better teacher than experience.  I'm tuning up my list for the Bugeater Grand Tournament next month in Omaha and I think I'm getting close to my final list. It's not anything really nasty, but it's just solid, durable units. I'm digging it.