Skip to main content

Wild West Exodus

Monday night I started assembling my Wild West Exodus (WWX) minis I received from the initial Kickstarter launch a few months back. I've been busy assembling too many Games Workshop models lately and I needed a break so I thought the WWX minis could help cleanse the palate.


My first impression of the Outlaw minis is very positive. The quality of the minis is quite good, but boy, the tiny parts are tiny, delicate and perhaps a tad fragile.


This model of Walks Looking from the Warrior Nation faction was a lot harder to assemble than I thought. The right arm is glued on near the shoulder, but then the tiny hand is attached to a tiny wrist. The blade on the left hand snapped when I cut it from the sprue and I had to reattach it and I'll probably have to use liquid greenstuff to smooth it out. The hands, in particular, are much smaller and more realistic than GW's "heroic scale."


Next up, I tackled a Spirit Beast, which wasn't as difficult to assemble.

The joins fit fairly snug and it won't take much putty to smooth out the gaps and seams. Like Walks Looking, the spirit beast was made of a very solid resin that was very plastic like, especially on the horse. I thought it would be more like the Forgeworld or Finecast resin from GW but the WWX models are a bit harder, have more "snap" when you cut them from the sprue, and don't seem to have any warping.

Overall, I like the minis from WWX. The sculpts are very good, especially on the "boss" level characters. Most models have been broken down into more parts than an average Games Workshop or Privateer model to allow for more detail, but those fine details can be difficult to assemble. Outlaw also seems to waste a lot of resin on the stands the models have been attached to for the molding process. I'm sure in time they'll streamline their process but I have almost as much waste resin from the sprue as I have in resin on the actual model!

I also cut the tokens from the sprue. While game aids like that can be handy, I'm starting to get a bit turned off by games that need a lot of extras bits like tokens, chits, counters, cards and dry erase markers. I always feel like I'm playing the rules, and not playing the game when I'm digging around for a marker or checking off a box.

I'm getting excited to see my gang take shape and will soon be heading to the painting table!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Space Marine Armorium Cherub

Out of all of the horrors in the Warhammer 40k universe, the cherubs creep me out the most... It's one of the most grimdark things in the universe.  #miniaturepainting #paintingwarhammer #grimdark #warhammercommunity #armoriumcherub #spacemarines #astartes #adeptusastartes #new40k

Warhammer 40k Primarch Rumors

There's are a couple of rumors floating around from Games Workshop about new Warhammer 40k rules and models releases; as well as major changes to the fluff. Rumor 1: All of the Primarchs will return, including the dead. Rumor 2: One of the traitor Primarchs will become a loyalist and one of the Imperial loyalists will become a traitor. I got into a discussion with some people on a thread on Spiky Bits' Facebook page about it and here are my theories. The Emperor will briefly return, only to be killed again. Once he finally dies, all of the pysker souls he's been consuming on the golden throne will coalesce and bring all of the dead primarchs back to life. The missing primarachs will rush back to Holy Terra like moths to a flame. Of course, this means both Horus and Sanguinius have returned as well. Horus will see the results of his actions and will repent his wicked ways, blame Ebrus/Logar and the Word Bearers for tricking him into corruption and turn to the sid

RTT Tournament results!

  I played in a small RTT in Holton today and went 2-1, finishing 5th and beat one of the top players in our conference! (I sqeaked by with a 1-point victory...) I may have been able to beat my second opponent if had I made better selections for secondary objectives. In hindsight, I could have easily won but no matter how I plan for games on paper, there's no better teacher than experience.  I'm tuning up my list for the Bugeater Grand Tournament next month in Omaha and I think I'm getting close to my final list. It's not anything really nasty, but it's just solid, durable units. I'm digging it.