Skip to main content

Bugeater Grand Tournament 2017

This past weekend, I packed up the new Guilliman model and my Grey Knights and made the trek to Omaha, Nebraska for the Bugeater Warhammer 40k Grand Tournament.















I went last year and had a blast and this year was no different.












Like last year, the Bugeater gives away some of the best swag, including these objective markers, custom dice, a measuring stick, a custom mission deck of cards, a patch, and lots of door prizes.

After seeing Guilliman in action in Kansas City at the Midwest ConQuest, I knew I had to upgrade my army. He's a beast. It doesn't take a lot of skill to play with him and even a guy like me can increase my win count with him on the table.

My first game I drew Trent Northington, one of the better players in the country (ranked 11 in the ITC ranking in 2016...)

He had a nasty army with all of the 7th edition formation nastiness you'd expect. The Castellion formation with a Tau Riptide Wing.

He seized the initiative on me and then kicked me in the teeth with his own Guilliman. I wish I could say I gave him a good game but it didn't really go my way except I managed to take out his Guilliman by the time the game was over.

The next game I played was one of the guys who left my FLGS for a new store in town. I played a bit better, but my dice were a little cold and I was playing timidly and dropped this game too. He had three Forgeworld Knights, Space Wolves, and Saint Celestine and managed to dodge me most of the game and I spent a lot of time running after him and not swinging my giant flaming sword of the Emperor.

Then things turned around for me. In fact, I ran the table on the rest of the games and either tabled or received the white flag from my opponents. In the end, I finished 4-2 and placed 10 in the ITC ranking and 11th in the tournament ranking which included painting and sportsmanship.

When it was all said and done, I played four of my games against folks from my hometown... It was a long way to travel to play people I've played before, but I still had a good time. Omaha is an amazing town, the Bugeater is a fantastic event and I'll be back next year with my 8th edition army in tow!

(The image of the tournament was stolen from the Bugeater Facebook page)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Warhammer 40k Primarch Rumors

There's are a couple of rumors floating around from Games Workshop about new Warhammer 40k rules and models releases; as well as major changes to the fluff. Rumor 1: All of the Primarchs will return, including the dead. Rumor 2: One of the traitor Primarchs will become a loyalist and one of the Imperial loyalists will become a traitor. I got into a discussion with some people on a thread on Spiky Bits' Facebook page about it and here are my theories. The Emperor will briefly return, only to be killed again. Once he finally dies, all of the pysker souls he's been consuming on the golden throne will coalesce and bring all of the dead primarchs back to life. The missing primarachs will rush back to Holy Terra like moths to a flame. Of course, this means both Horus and Sanguinius have returned as well. Horus will see the results of his actions and will repent his wicked ways, blame Ebrus/Logar and the Word Bearers for tricking him into corruption and turn to the sid

Turnip28 Miniature

  "Fine words butter no parsnips."

RTT Tournament results!

  I played in a small RTT in Holton today and went 2-1, finishing 5th and beat one of the top players in our conference! (I sqeaked by with a 1-point victory...) I may have been able to beat my second opponent if had I made better selections for secondary objectives. In hindsight, I could have easily won but no matter how I plan for games on paper, there's no better teacher than experience.  I'm tuning up my list for the Bugeater Grand Tournament next month in Omaha and I think I'm getting close to my final list. It's not anything really nasty, but it's just solid, durable units. I'm digging it.