Skip to main content

Showme Showdown 2022 Tournament Recap



With the success I had at the Midwest ConQuest, I bought a ticket for the Showme Showdown 2022 Warhammer 40k Grand Tournament. I went 2-3 at the ConQuest, but with two games lost by a single point, I would probably have been on the final table (two points!) I was so close to a top finish I could taste it, and with my Dark Angel Deathwing list scoring a lot of points, I wanted to keep my momentum going to earn a podium finish.

 


Just before the Showme Showdown, GW dropped a couple of bombs with Chapter Approved Nephilim, point corrections, and FAQs that dramatically changed the competitive scene of Warhammer 40k. The tournament organizers wanted to run the Nephilim missions and list building format (6 CPs, pay for Warlord Traits and Relics, new secondaries, etc.) and there wasn’t much time to playtest a new army or even adjust my current list. The FAQ for Nephilim hasn’t been released yet and I was a little annoyed about adopting the new format so quickly, but I had to soldier on.

 


The SMSD is a large tournament in Kansas City that has an excellent draw from across the Midwest. There were 120 tickets sold with about 110 showing, including a lot of top players in the Lord Marshal Conference and US ITC.

 

I brought my usual Dark Angels Rampant Lions list. I built a new list that had a landspeeder storm so that I could move quickly enough to secure an objective to help score primary points early in the game. However, in Nephilim, dedicated transports without troops in them are destroyed, so that scuttled my plan. The other changes to mission secondaries through a big wrench in my plans as well. Since To the Last was removed and Stubborn Defiance changes only allow me to score 10 points (since I can’t start on an objective outside my deployment zone,) I was struggling to find secondaries that I could score. Banners is a good option for about 12 points, and if Abhor the Witch was in play if I faced a psyker heavy list, but I was grasping at straws to pick secondaries.

 

To top it off, my stomach problems flared up in round 2 and I had a headache most of day 1 so I was less that enthusiastic to play that day.

 


Here’s a round by round breakdown:

 

Round 1:

I played against a tournament judge from another tourney and his Black Templar list. I really like his list and is similar to a list I’m considering building as well. Helbrecht, Grimaldus, Crusader Squads… all of the hits. He’s a great player and a lot of fun to square off against and I won 65-49.

 

Round 2:

This round paired me against the Grey Knights, commanded by James. Grey Knights have traditionally been my bane but I was able to get a lot of shots off with my cyclone missile launchers and use my obsec terminators to hold key objectives. Not to forget that Abhor the Witch was a great secondary for me and I won 91-78.

 

Round 3:

In this battle, I faced off against an off-meta Sisters of Battle list. It contained the usual batch of character spam, lots of Zephyrim, and used the Valorous Heart Order. I picked secondaries very poorly and was constantly outnumbered on objectives in a “hold 2, hold 3, hold more” mission. My dice were ice cold (one missile launcher had 14 shots, hitting on 3s, and I hit once…) and I played like mouth breather most of the game. I was thumped 94-37. Oof.

 


Day 2:

Round 4:

I was paired with another Grey Knights player in round 4. He was from a rival local game store in my area and was a super nice player. I felt a little bad, but we used a game clock and he unfortunately ran out of time early in turn 4 and I was able to keep executing my game plan. Abhor the Witch scored max points for me again and I grabbed a 93-52 victory.

 

Round 5:

I had a fantastic game against Joe and his Genestealer Cult in round 5. It was a back-and-forth battle with Joe grabbing an early lead and my slow termies trundling across the field to try to catch is vehicle heavy (and expertly converted and painted) cultists. It was a slobber knocker, but Raise the Banners High pulled me ahead in the final turn and I won by a whisker, 75-73. I voted for Joe for best player and he won favorite opponent overall!

 

Round 6:

Vanguard Tactics team member, Nick brought a nasty, nasty Necron list that benefits greatly from the Nehpilim secondaries. He had two C’tan and a Silent King. He didn’t give up any obvious secondaries and played like Stephen Box throughout the battle, although, I had to remind him about my transhuman nearly every roll. It was a long couple of days and I was pretty foggy-headed too. I made lots of armor saves, but failed to get  Nick won 86-68 in an enjoyable battle.

 


In the end, I finished 4-2 and I was pleased with myself. Except for the Sisters game, I feel like I played well and made good choices. I finished 34th with 429 points, almost made the painting cut (I didn’t have many conversions,) won best in faction for Dark Angels, and I won a battlemat from GameMat.Eu as a door prize!

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ork Mekboy Conversion

My Stompa needs a Mekboy to follow it around, so I made this simple conversion from my bits box. Since the GW model is out of stock,  I could only find a mek boy for $60 on eBay and this hobby is expensive enough. Besides, I think he looks cooler than the GW stock model, but let me know what you think!  #warhammercommunity #orks40k #orks #28mm #Warhammer40k #waaagh #dakka #conversion

Goblin Hobbies Stamping Kit First Attempt

I recently purchased the Goblin Hobbies Stampin' Kit after seeing the ads and how-to videos online. Brent from Goobertown Hobbies made it look super easy and I thought this could be the answer to painting clean Lamenters shoulder pads and eliminating the need for decals on other models. When the kit arrived, I gleefully started stamping some paper napkins in my kitchen. My early stamps weren't that great, but it was on paper and I was recklessly splogging nail polish everywhere so I wasn't worried about neatness or finesse or my success. After watching a few more tutorials and some nail art tutorials, I made some earnest attempts to make some new battleshock counters for my Blood Angels. This is how it went.  As you can see, I didn't get the same awesome results as the showcase videos. I fiddled sounds for about an hour until the acetone fumes got to me, and despite my best efforts, I wasn't getting clean prints, even on these flat wooden counters.  Obviously, I str...

Warhammer 40k Army Theme Songs

Ever since I was a wee lad first dipping my toes into miniature wargaming, I've always "sung along" while I played. While some players jiggle their dice, some pull their tape measure out and let it drop back in, but I've always had background music in my head and I tunelessly hum songs that match the armies on the table to the current events.  I'm also a big baseball fan and my friends and I would discuss our "walkup music" - the song that gets played over the stadium when you walk up to bat. Wrestlers have it. Comedians have it. James Bond has it. Why not Warhammer 40k? Here are a few of my ideas: Sons of Horus: Paint it Black - Rolling Stones Emperor's Children - Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson Iron Warriors: Ironman - Black Sabbath Thousand Sons: I Fought the Law - the Clash Nightlords: Thunderstuck AC/DC World Eaters: Freak on a Leash - Korn Word Bearers: Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Marines Death Guard: Zombie - the Cranberries Alpha...