Skip to main content

Flesh Hounds and Instant Mold

As I was putting together my daemon army, I picked up some second-hand Chaos Flesh Hounds online. I thought they were a really good deal but when my package arrived, the models turned out to plain chaos hounds. The Games Workshop Flesh Hounds are now up to about $10 a figure and buying blindly off the Internet to save some cash turned out to cost me more in the end.

Then, on CoolMiniorNot.com, I saw their review of Instant Mold. It's a flexible, reusable molding material that sets in hot water and can be infinitely reused to create molds of small metal and plastic parts. I thought this might just be the ticket to making some "collars" to turn my dogs into Flesh Hounds.

Following instructions, I made mold of an extra collar (or fins) from an actual Flesh Hound model. After letting it cool, it looked like I had a nice mold to make a few extra fins.



I rolled out some Green Stuff into a little ball and pressed it into my fin mold and viola!

As you can see in the photo, the first attempt has a few rounded edges and I think that I may have pressed the collar into the mold too far so I'll take another try after this piece sets and I file it down.

Obviously the facsimile isn't going to have the detail that the original piece had but I think it's good enough to transform my junk models into something useable - it'll certainly look more like a Flesh Hound. 

Now, I just need to figure what my converted models are going to stand on. It appears there is quite a debate online on how Flesh Hounds should be based: horse bases that come with all the models, 40mm terminator bases, or the rounded biker bases. I like the rounded biker bases, but I'll probably stick with the horse bases, chiefly because I have a ton of them laying around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Space Marine Armorium Cherub

Out of all of the horrors in the Warhammer 40k universe, the cherubs creep me out the most... It's one of the most grimdark things in the universe.  #miniaturepainting #paintingwarhammer #grimdark #warhammercommunity #armoriumcherub #spacemarines #astartes #adeptusastartes #new40k

Warhammer 40k Primarch Rumors

There's are a couple of rumors floating around from Games Workshop about new Warhammer 40k rules and models releases; as well as major changes to the fluff. Rumor 1: All of the Primarchs will return, including the dead. Rumor 2: One of the traitor Primarchs will become a loyalist and one of the Imperial loyalists will become a traitor. I got into a discussion with some people on a thread on Spiky Bits' Facebook page about it and here are my theories. The Emperor will briefly return, only to be killed again. Once he finally dies, all of the pysker souls he's been consuming on the golden throne will coalesce and bring all of the dead primarchs back to life. The missing primarachs will rush back to Holy Terra like moths to a flame. Of course, this means both Horus and Sanguinius have returned as well. Horus will see the results of his actions and will repent his wicked ways, blame Ebrus/Logar and the Word Bearers for tricking him into corruption and turn to the sid

RTT Tournament results!

  I played in a small RTT in Holton today and went 2-1, finishing 5th and beat one of the top players in our conference! (I sqeaked by with a 1-point victory...) I may have been able to beat my second opponent if had I made better selections for secondary objectives. In hindsight, I could have easily won but no matter how I plan for games on paper, there's no better teacher than experience.  I'm tuning up my list for the Bugeater Grand Tournament next month in Omaha and I think I'm getting close to my final list. It's not anything really nasty, but it's just solid, durable units. I'm digging it.