Skip to main content

The Beards are Back! New Dwarfs have arrived!

Today, a new batch of Dwarf models have been released from Games Workshop for Warhammer Fantasy Battles.


The new models look great! A hammerer/longbeard dual unit, a giant slayer and a new character, Belegar Irongammer. I don't care for the dual unit boxes. I think there should be more difference between units than the tip of the weapon and flag top. This just perpetuates the fluff myth that people can't tell one dwarf from another!

To spruce up your army, you're going to have to put in some time in the gold mine and mint some coin. The characters are $21 for a single plastic model and the unit is $50 for 10 troops.

Traditionally, new models are accompanied by a new army book, but GW has decided to put some special character rules in the revamped White Dwarf and *not* release an army wide update. At least not yet.

There are a bunch of rumors flying around to explain this - everything from no army books in 9th edition, to simply releasing new minis when they are ready to keep some life pumping into old model lines. The latter makes more sense to me, especially when you consider that you'll also need to buy some White Dwarf issues to get all the rules.

On of my employees and I constantly joke at the store about the proper way to pluralize "Dwarf." In the real world, a group of little people are called, "dwarves." However, GW's writers have proclaimed it, "Dwarfs." Barbie and I always over-emphasize the, 'fs.' I guess GW has copywritten, "Dwarf" (with capital D) and thus "Dwarfs" is the plural form.

My other friends taunt my army with slurs of "beardy," "stunty," or "belly-dragger."

Also of note: Magic the Gathering hosts their "Born of the Gods" Prerelease tournaments. Gaming tables everywhere are going to be packed with paper shufflers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Space Marine Armorium Cherub

Out of all of the horrors in the Warhammer 40k universe, the cherubs creep me out the most... It's one of the most grimdark things in the universe.  #miniaturepainting #paintingwarhammer #grimdark #warhammercommunity #armoriumcherub #spacemarines #astartes #adeptusastartes #new40k

Warhammer 40k Primarch Rumors

There's are a couple of rumors floating around from Games Workshop about new Warhammer 40k rules and models releases; as well as major changes to the fluff. Rumor 1: All of the Primarchs will return, including the dead. Rumor 2: One of the traitor Primarchs will become a loyalist and one of the Imperial loyalists will become a traitor. I got into a discussion with some people on a thread on Spiky Bits' Facebook page about it and here are my theories. The Emperor will briefly return, only to be killed again. Once he finally dies, all of the pysker souls he's been consuming on the golden throne will coalesce and bring all of the dead primarchs back to life. The missing primarachs will rush back to Holy Terra like moths to a flame. Of course, this means both Horus and Sanguinius have returned as well. Horus will see the results of his actions and will repent his wicked ways, blame Ebrus/Logar and the Word Bearers for tricking him into corruption and turn to the sid

RTT Tournament results!

  I played in a small RTT in Holton today and went 2-1, finishing 5th and beat one of the top players in our conference! (I sqeaked by with a 1-point victory...) I may have been able to beat my second opponent if had I made better selections for secondary objectives. In hindsight, I could have easily won but no matter how I plan for games on paper, there's no better teacher than experience.  I'm tuning up my list for the Bugeater Grand Tournament next month in Omaha and I think I'm getting close to my final list. It's not anything really nasty, but it's just solid, durable units. I'm digging it.